Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoN9ne
Visitor

Where are the standard Image sizes listed???

Why is it so difficult to get an actual list of standard image sizes for the Roku? 

This page explains safe zones, which is pretty basic knowledge for TV productions but doesn't give any image size standards for channel development. I guess I could do the math and figure out the dimensions but this seems like a big middle finger to the developer from Roku. In fact, I could not find a single page in the documentation that does!? Is there a reason for this? Does this page exist? I remember I found a site that listed the sizes but I cannot find it currently and I really wanted to know why Roku decided it wants to make it more difficult to design a channel?

I always remember the difficulty of working on Roku. Thought the new updates would fix that.. clearly they are the same... Docs lag too much and they miss the basics.

So I decided to use the sample channels to get the asset sizes (seems a bit overkill that this is how I need to get them) but none seem to have FHD examples... 

Oh! On the bottom of this page I can see the FHD sizes! Now how about SD and HD??? Good to know I needed to use JPGs for those images. I wondered why my PNGs weren't showing...

So once again, I am depending on the community for a basic answer...

Thanks community

UPDATED

I found this post from 2011, which the developer had the same question I did, and yet still obviously nothing is clearly defined in the docs... What a joke... missing the basics when it comes to development.

UPDATED
I have since been moving clients away from Roku due to it's horrible practices with documentation and it's horrible support and simply bad practices to DEVs. Now that I have to link my Roku account for dev support is stupid since I do not own an Roku account (I would never use this product) and use the clients to do development. The email about this change says to click on a link to send an email to the admin but it's a dead link. That is a very accurate summary of Roku.... a dead link. good bye roku and may I never have another project that won't listen to me steer them away from you
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Where are the standard Image sizes listed???

Upload a 540x405 JPEG or PNG image into the developer portal, in the "Channel Store Info" property page of the app. That will be used as a tile, scaled appropriately depending on the resolution. OTOH, mm_icon_focus_* specified in the bundle manifest would be used only for side-loaded app, so i won't sweat too much over these

Screenshots for channel store, app splash screen: FHD (1920x1080) JPG or PNG.

When developing for RSG (Roku Scene Graph), make sure to manifest ui_resolutions=hd or ui_resolutions=fhd, depending in what coordinates you design the UI, so that the player take care to re-size for the other resolutions (SD comes in mind)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

RokuNB - also of note - your "SD" resolution for roku is described as being 4:3, however, 720x480 is not 4:3.  It should be 640x480 but it never has been.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
RokuNB - also of note - your "SD" resolution for roku is described as being 4:3, however, 720x480 is not 4:3.  It should be 640x480 but it never has been.

Not "your" SD resolution, destruk -
rather it's 480i/NTSC you should take it with - it uses non-square pixels (ratio 11:10, meaning pixels are squished horizontally). See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480i
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard- ... pect_ratio

Because of that, i personally am no fan of SD and would leave to firmware to take care of resizing from HD/FHD as possible
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Thanks RokuNB!
0 Kudos