Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

When will Roku end support for devices that deliver bad UX

To me, using the Roku LT device is unbearable.  We are spending considerable development cycles attempting to support it as required by Roku.
The experience is so poor that in my estimation it would be worth it for Roku's brand to allow users to exchange such PsOS for modern devices free of charge.
Hello, is this thing on?
aspiring
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: When will Roku end support for devices that deliver bad UX

Curious if Roku would approve an app on the basis that any user with an LT will be offered a free exchange to Roku express?   Will get a big pile of LTs together and set on fire.  gasoline and explosives may be involved.
aspiring
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: When will Roku end support for devices that deliver bad UX

Yeah, the old 2450/2500 is the bottom of the barrel now as far as processing power goes. But the old Roku 1 (2710) is only slightly better (in my tests) and there a bunch of them out in the wild, especially since they re-branded it "SE" and sold it for Black Friday for $25 a couple years back. Heck, even 2016's Express 3700/3710 is relatively weak, and only NOW are ALL Rokus on the market strong performers.

Maybe Fall 2017 could become the new cut-off point after a few more years, such as 2020/21. Then again, "older" players such as the Roku 3 4200 can still show a lot of muscle and wouldn't deserve to be included in a cut-off group, so I'm not sure how to best handle it other than a big specific list of supported vs "retired" model numbers.
0 Kudos