Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

What's with RAF and leg shaving?!

I notice something strange over the last week - and that is that the RAF-served ads i see in my app are all about shaving legs - see the 30sec spots here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKCkih ... g1A/videos

It's always the same thing - over and over and over again. And then some. "Schick Skintimate" present “Ready, Shave, Shine” - a fake-blond gal frowns at her razor, then texts and starts having disturbing Schick-branded visions - then ends with "Rock Your Legs".

That's not normal, Doc - is it?!

I can't imagine i am doing it wrong, because it's the simplest sequence - get Roku_Ads(), getAds(), showAds(pods) - that has been working all along.
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: What's with RAF and leg shaving?!

I think this is normal. Every time I play Pathogen 2, it tries to convince me to shave my legs. If I complied every time, I'd be shaving down to the bone marrow by now.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Today I'm seeing one and only one ad - The Lowe's 4th of July ad. :?:
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

So we should assume RokuCo's ad inventory is running thin/empty?
Or bug in RAF 1.7?

Repeating the same ad over and over (and over) again is bordering on viewer harassment, can't say am pleased.
0 Kudos
renojim

I'm not too happy either. I wonder if it has something to do with the start of a new month and/or quarter.

-JT

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

For me it's been a solid week of leg shaving, till today.

But today i observe something stranger: the public channel is reliably stuck peddling "Lowe's 4th of July" - where the beta/pvt channel prefers "Walt Disney World" (or may show soccer ad). Now they both use exactly the same build/bundle right now, bit-for-bit. Whence the difference?!

Was v1.7 of RAF just released, i did not keep track of versioning?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
I've sent an email to the ad team.

This is a hairy situation. [...] This may have to do with razor thin industry margins. I'm sure it will all gel in the end.

Hairy situation + shaving gel + razor = "Skintimate" margins, indeed! The shoe seems to fit Smiley LOL

Hmmm... someone once said "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity".
[spoiler=quote:2bv2r2vo][/spoiler:2bv2r2vo]
I am thinking... if i were to start selling "disable ads" as a premium upgrade, i ought to sell a good deal of "lemonade" given the "lemons" that RAF is handing right now. There is some irony to how self-regulating such model would be - the worse the ads, the more willing users would be to pay to get rid of them. And vice versa - if ads become any good (captivating, useful/meaningful, non-repetitive, targeted etc), less inclined people would be to avoid.
0 Kudos
renojim

Well today RAF seems to be totally broken. My calls to getAds are returning NO ads!

-JT

0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
Well today RAF seems to be totally broken. My calls to getAds are returning NO ads!

-JT

On the Video Poker channel I'm seeing two ads at the beginning: ad 1 of 2 is the Lowes ad; ad 2 of 2 is also the Lowes ad. I'm not sure which I prefer -- watching one leg shave ad, or two Lowes ads.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Ah, i was going to ask about that. I noticed such behaviors over the weekend - often not serving ads, figured that the Co. ad pool must be drained.
Today though, i was going to complain but had quick look at my logs and "only" slightly above 100 of the last 300 ad requests came up empty, so i was like "yeah ok, 34% ain't that bad". Your stats worse?

PS. @belltown: "Nice little game you got there, eh? Be a shame if you did not pay for ad-protection and something were to happen..." </wise-guy>
0 Kudos