Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

What's a "No Lanyard"?

I went creating a channel today and under "Required Features" there is
  • USB Support

• Roku 3 only

• Screensaver

• USB Support - Package

• Roku 3 only No Lanyard

• BTR No Lanyard

• Roku Game Remote

What is the difference between the 4 bolded choices? I did quick search in the forum and there was nothing for "lanyard"*. I would venture a guess "lanyard" in this context is not literally the purple lanyard that came with motion remote models.

(*) amusing - can't believe nobody over the years said "lanyard" in any context of any board!
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: What's a "No Lanyard"?

Yep, a lanyard is the purple thing that goes around your wrist.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Yep, a lanyard is the purple thing that goes around your wrist.

Happy hour cheers, Joel! 🙂

Would you mind explaining the difference between the 4 bolded choices though, in the context of "required features": when will i be choosing which?

PS. couple of weeks later, the "no lanyard" entries mysteriously disappeared. Go figure.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

This seems to shed some light on the lanyard mystery: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89586&p=504962#p504970

Except it's unclear if the actual remote in use is taken into consideration or just the player model#. (Since remotes are cross-compatible, a non-lanyard-remote can be used with player that ships with lanyard remote - and vice versa).
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
This seems to shed some light on the lanyard mystery: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89586&p=504962#p504970

Except it's unclear if the actual remote in use is taken into consideration or just the player model#. (Since remotes are cross-compatible, a non-lanyard-remote can be used with player that ships with lanyard remote - and vice versa).

Player model only as is sold in stores or online (or so that's my take on it, as far as I've been told). In the thread referenced, the 4230 doesn't come "default" with the wrist-strap, so it's excluded (via the Lanyard setting) from games that require it. IE, NO LANYARD.

C. Shawn Smith

*Edit* games that require the Lanyard (again, as I've been told) have vigorous motion with the game controller. Without the Lanyard, the game controller in some instances could "get away from you" and cause issues. IE, accidentally throwing it through your window, TV, knocking your 7-year old child unconscious (not that that has ever happened to me :mrgreen: ), etc. To combat this liability, the Lanyard setting is set to insure that the player, as sold in stores and/or online that is equipped with it will get the game, but those that don't, won't, due to the possibility of said 7-year olds getting knocked unconscious.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

To add an extra point of reference: I have a 4230 NO LANYARD and games that require it don't appear on the device, even though I have had a controller paired to it that DOES have a Lanyard.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

So there's no way to adjust the settings on the Roku device to say you do in fact have a lanyard now, to get access to those games? That's a bad setup if so.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

"Komag" wrote:
So there's no way to adjust the settings on the Roku device to say you do in fact have a lanyard now, to get access to those games? That's a bad setup if so.

As far as I'm aware, no. I don't think the remote can communicate to the Roku in that manner. I'll forward that request over to TPTB, though. Hopefully, it's possible in some manner.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Alternately what you could do is change it to 'recommended lanyard' and a disclaimer that you're not liable for end users killing people with thrown remote controls across the room - or some such.
The Nintendo Wii series have a display showing what the accessories are and what possible damage can be caused by misuse prior to loading a game.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

0 Kudos