Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xtr33me
Visitor

Way to create a binary yet?

I am wanting to create a distributable for other developers to use but I would also like to hide the logic. I have seen other questions like this asked a few years back and the answer was no. I was hoping that perhaps the answer to this has changed and just wanted to see if I could get any updates. Also is there any recommended obfuscation tools for roku's brightscript? Any help or info would be great. Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Way to create a binary yet?

If by "create a binary [...] distributable for other developers to use" you mean complete app, publishing a "private channel" will be a way to go.
If you mean a library (in the sense of .lib/.dll/.so) to use in other apps - then no.
I don't know of any obfuscation tools existing for B/S.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

When a channel is packaged, it is 'obfuscated' - the resulting pkg file is encrypted. You probably don't want to obfuscate your own internal source code - that is a bad idea because it makes it more difficult for someone else in your own organization from updating or adding functionality to your own internal codebase if the need arises in the future, or if you need to go back and look over how you made it work to begin with.
0 Kudos
xtr33me
Visitor

Thanks to the both of you for the reply. As stated above, we wish to provide a script for other devs to use for but we do not wish our source to be easily readable. As with js code, if you have enough time, you can figure out what is goign on, but I don't care to make it easy. A brightscript obfuscator would be nice, however I have not had any luck getting something to work. I tried running through some of our current tools and nothing has worked easily with BS. Guess I will see what other avenues I might be able to go down. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this at present, but it would be an excellent feature, I'll write it up.

- Joel
0 Kudos