Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

[WTF] Roku purchases/billing is down since March 2nd?

It seems that Roku's payment system has been down since about 3/2 and is still down. Which means for over 2 weeks customers have been unable to purchase channels/content. And yet, i see no announcement^ of outage - nor have they fixed it.

Why do i think so? Well i have an app in the Channel Store and it has been dribbling purchases regularly. So regularly, that retrospectively looking at the logs i can see it as a heartbeat. The last "pulse" registered on 3/1 and since then... nothing. It has suddenly stopped, less we count a $0.00 "palpitation" on 3/4. Which makes me think the Event has occurred on 3/2.

OTOH the "heart monitor" (transaction logs) is working and registering installations of free apps with unaffected pace.

(^) i checked for blog, forum post, email, phone/voice mail, support.roku.com banner, telepathogram
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: [WTF] Roku purchases/billing is down since March 2nd?

My channel sales have tanked as well (I assumed primarily due to the removal of the Top Paid category), but I've still had at least one purchase on most days this month, so billing services aren't completely down, but something is definitely going on.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
My channel sales have tanked as well (I assumed primarily due to the removal of the Top Paid category), but I've still had at least one purchase on most days this month, so billing services aren't completely down, but something is definitely going on.

Mine too, and I got complains from potential customers that wanted to upgrade my new Poker Clock channel, I have zero upgrades sold.

Considering the small % of people that bother to look for me in twitter or facebook to complain, I lost some money 😞
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:

Ha! The plot thickens... Roku becomes more like The Lost Room.

So it can be things like perhaps you still get orders from devices with old firmware (3?) or from accounts that use peculiar billing (say Paypal vs CC) - things which alas you cannot guess/measure. There hasn't been firmware push lately, so it must be server-side - and it seems to coincide with a monthly web rollout. What's bizarre is that they could not roll back the change once noticed. 2+ weeks! Did not bother? Shot themselves in the foot?

Can you quantify the change in purchases for you?
E.g. did it start on a specific date? How much % did the purchases fall (90%, 95? 99%).
For me the Event was very "qualitative" - went to 0. Perhaps of low volume. Btw i found it helpful to group purchases by week (Excel 🙂 "=WEEKNUM(tmtsmp)" then group or pivot) to even out "pulse" speed-up/slow-down from weekends/weekdays.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Can you quantify the change in purchases for you?

I think this pretty much sums it up...

Now, I suppose it is possible Roku had some sort of promotion for the channel on the first and second that I wasn't aware of, but that seems like odd days to run something (Tuesday and Wednesday), especially without letting me know...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
Now, I suppose it is possible Roku had some sort of promotion for the channel on the first and second that I wasn't aware of, but that seems like odd days to run something (Tuesday and Wednesday), especially without letting me know...

That's be easy to figure out looking at Tue-Wed from earlier (February). I bet numbers are comparable to Tue and the count for 3/2 is partial because The Event happened that day (GMT or PST). So now you are down to 1/10th the old installs (90% loss).

I wonder why are you still getting any even? One thing i just thought of: my app is 3xxx and 4xxx models only
0 Kudos
TRR

Have you tried setting up a dummy account and trying to purchase one of your own channels? Yeah it might cost you a little bit (whatever Roku keeps off the top) but you would at least be able to see what a potential buyer sees. Just a thought.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TRR" wrote:
Have you tried setting up a dummy account and trying to purchase one of your own channels? Yeah it might cost you a little bit (whatever Roku keeps off the top) but you would at least be able to see what a potential buyer sees. Just a thought.

Why yes! Yes, i have tried purchasing channels.
Anybody who is curious what the exact outcome is, should try it for themselves.
For example, pick yourself something from this list viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93606&p=525173#p525173

In the worst... no, sorry! - in the best case scenario, should the transaction work end-to-end - then you would have got yourself installed a fine & cheap app (support the Roku ecosystem at-large and an indie developer in particular!). In the not-so-best case, we can talk about the experience 😉
0 Kudos
RobSMS
Visitor

Subs seem to be working fine as we had a really good month on that front. But our PPV numbers dropped quite a bit in March. No reports from customers (or potential customers) regarding any issue. I just assumed it was a slow month for TV as things are warming up outside.

Using my test account I was able to make a purchase & subscribe without any issue, so I'm assuming if there is a system wide issue the sales will still be recorded, maybe just not reported.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RobSMS" wrote:
Using my test account I was able to make a purchase & subscribe without any issue, so I'm assuming if there is a system wide issue the sales will still be recorded, maybe just not reported.

It's not just the reporting - it's inability to complete payment transactions (reportedly incl. new subscriptions) - see viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93340 for what happens on "the other side" (customer's end).

You said you were able to purchase&subscribe using your "test account"? Were there real charges you can verify showing at the credit card company or was that with a fake/test payment?

Re "slow month", just compare your non-recurring $ txns per day of the week, March vs February - my guess is you will see 90-100% drop which is way beyond slowdown, it's systemic failure. If payments were kidneys, at this point the patient needs organ transplant 😛
0 Kudos