Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manishDev
Visitor

Video to Ad transition screen back button issue (Scene graph)

Hi,

Every time a user selects a video item on the grid screen, I take the content to the video player (a separate node). The video player before playing the content, passes to a task node whose job is to fetch and play raf ads and then continue with the content. Both playing on the same video player node one after the other.

Issue: there is a transition time between video item selected and raf ad starting to play. If I press the back key during this transition time, the screen comes to the grid screen without focus and the ad starts playing in the background. Press back again, ad stops and focus comes to the grid screen. Any idea where I am going wrong here? Back key on the running ad and running content works just fine.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Re: Video to Ad transition screen back button issue (Scene graph)

RAF probably has focus during that task activity. You need to add code in your RAF task loop to force focus onto the Video node to handle the back button.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

I believe what's happening is, when Back is pressed RAF has not taken then input focus yet but is initializing. If it had taken the focus, Back would not exit the app's details screen to go back to grid screen. And right after that happens, RAF has deployed its UI and grabbed the input focus. So it is a race condition. To avoid chance of it happening, how about .setFocus(false) in that screen before calling RAF - and then .SetFocus(true) after it returns?
0 Kudos
manishDev
Visitor

Thanks all,

I figured the solution. It was rather simple but took some drilling down the fields of elements to fix it.

P.S: The Task node documentation mentions state field is case sensitive and example has been shows in capitals. Actually, all the read-only state values are smalls and not capitals.
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

@ROKUNB

Setting the focus to false on a node can lead to unexpected behavior as per documentation https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifSGNodeFocus

Can you please clarify this.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"manishDev" wrote:
P.S: The Task node documentation mentions state field is case sensitive and example has been shows in capitals. Actually, all the read-only state values are smalls and not capitals.

That is confusing, i agree. Here is how it works:

• when you are setting the control field, the operation is case-insensitive, i.e. whether "RUN" or "run" makes no difference

• when you are getting a field, e.g. state - it necessarily has to return one of the two, either lower-case or upper-case. It returns lowercase "run"
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"abhishek" wrote:
@ROKUNB

Setting the focus to false on a node can lead to unexpected behavior as per documentation https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifSGNodeFocus

That is true, turns out setFocus(false) does not have well-defined behavior ATM. So to future-proof your code, a better choice would be to .setFocus(true) on some other node ("input sink" of sorts), where pressing Back won't cause damage.
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

"RokuNB" wrote:
"abhishek" wrote:
@ROKUNB

That is true, turns out setFocus(false) does not have well-defined behavior ATM. So to future-proof your code, a better choice would be to .setFocus(true) on some other node ("input sink" of sorts), where pressing Back won't cause damage.

Thanks for your reply. It's a better way of implementation.
0 Kudos