Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enmud
Visitor

Video playback error

hi we have developed a video streaming channel for Roku. Everything is fine except for few videos which after playing for 15/30 minutes crashes the app and goes to home screen. I tried to test the same url/video in Roku stream testing tool. There also it played and after 30 minutes it showed up the error "Video PlayBack Error: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been  detected. Stream URL:.......". Same url is playing without any error in other devices like Apple TV and other mobiles.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Re: Video playback error

"enmud" wrote:
hi we have developed a video streaming channel for Roku. Everything is fine except for few videos which after playing for 15/30 minutes crashes the app and goes to home screen. I tried to test the same url/video in Roku stream testing tool. There also it played and after 30 minutes it showed up the error "Video PlayBack Error: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been  detected. Stream URL:.......". Same url is playing without any error in other devices like Apple TV and other mobiles.

I got this today with a few videos (format: mpeg4_15/aac) the ones that showed the problem had between 10 and 15 minutes long, and the -3 error would come from 2 to 5 minutes of playback. I tried the 480 and 720 resolution, same problem. At the same video provider I'm using, similar files, similar length do not fail at all, but these specific files do fail every single play.

More information: these are non encripted files (no certificate needed) but hash protected, so unfortunately I can't provide links here.
0 Kudos