Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordiVilynx
Visitor

Video loop without buffering

Hi there!

I'm trying to do a seamless loop playing video, but I have some real problems to archive that.

The 'native'  way (loop="true") and the non native way (when video finishes, start again) causes the buffer shows up.

If I try to 'prebuffer' a second video node, when the first video is about to end, it throws a error: 
[Video2] ERROR invalid - failed to create media player

So, it's really frustrating this situation, I had to do the same job with an app for Appel TV and I did it in 2 days, I have been working on roku for a month now, and I didn't had any results.
If a solution is available to fix the buffer on loop, no matter how complex it is, I will be glad to implement it.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Video loop without buffering

If you loop the video with VLC on your server and feed it into Wowza as a HLS stream, then you will have a constant looping video without buffering once it starts playing.
0 Kudos
jordiVilynx
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply!

That seems a valid solution.

But I'm wondering if there is something more native, without changing anything on the server (actually, I don't have access to the media server).

I know that the Roku device can do what i'm trying to do without a server dependence, actually, if I reboot my device, I can see a 3D bouncing ROKU logo, and i'm pretty sure that is not a rendered animation (it will be a waste). If anybody knows how the start/reboot animation is done, it will be awesome!
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

I know it is a little late but many times when I have used a background video loop I either convert/save it with quicktime which has a native loop feature and/or post the video to youtube which also has a loop video feature. Both work well and it saves server side resources.

Thats assuming you are only talking about a few videos and not 1000's 😛
0 Kudos