Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pinehead
Visitor

Video coming across and stretching

I have the player set on 4x3 and it's SD type coming through. Even on the example players the video is still being stretched. However, this is only the case when the video is played on the roku box. Anybody else have this issue or have any idea's on how to fix it?

Here is a stream so you can test if needed. http://mobile.ec2.cor.org/live/_definst ... ylist.m3u8

Thanks,
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
astudios
Channel Surfer

Re: Video coming across and stretching

were you able to find a solution to this? i'm having the exact same problem and i cannot seem to find a solution.

many thanks,
steven

"pinehead" wrote:
I have the player set on 4x3 and it's SD type coming through. Even on the example players the video is still being stretched. However, this is only the case when the video is played on the roku box. Anybody else have this issue or have any idea's on how to fix it?

Here is a stream so you can test if needed. http://mobile.ec2.cor.org/live/_definst ... ylist.m3u8

Thanks,
0 Kudos
pinehead
Visitor

Sure haven't, PING roku dev team.. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

How was this encoded? We use the resolution headers in the transport stream to determine what resolution to display.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
astudios
Channel Surfer

we have been using FFMPEG as well as Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 PRO and both files (streamed via HLS) do not maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio. however, pointing the ROKU directly to the MP4 file (with streamformat = "mp4") works perfectly.

if you have any other suggestions, i'd be happy to try.

btw, we also tried to stream a LIVE webcast to the ROKU via HLS (using adobe flash live encoder) and it also does not maintain the 4:3 aspect.

all of the videos in the above tests were encoded at 320x240 size.

thanks,
steven

"RokuKevin" wrote:
How was this encoded? We use the resolution headers in the transport stream to determine what resolution to display.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
pinehead
Visitor

We use wowza. The wowza stream is setup to come over as 4:3 and it still stretches.
0 Kudos
ianbeyer
Visitor

Kevin,

At what point is that resolution encoded into the headers?

I work on the encoding backend with this one. We're sending it 4:3 out of FMLE up to Wowza, which is packetizing and streaming HLS. We've added a SMIL file to force the bitrate pending a patch from Wowza to dynamically generate this information.
0 Kudos
pinehead
Visitor

Bump.. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
astudios
Channel Surfer

Still waiting here too.. We are just using the direct MP4 method of streaming videos (instead of HLS) for now.. Until this issue is fixed.

Steven

"pinehead" wrote:
Bump.. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
ianbeyer
Visitor

For what it's worth, the HLS stream is rendering properly on iDevices, so the resolution data is present and correct. It looks like Roku is either misreading or ignoring this data.
0 Kudos