Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwblant
Visitor

Video Screensavers: Are they possible?

I have fallen in love with the ATV's new "aerial" screensavers and wanted to find something similar. However, everything I could find only used still images. So I signed up to become a developer but after looking around for a bit, I still don't see a way to use a video stream inside a screensaver.

Is it possible to have a handful of 5 minute videos loop in a screensaver? If not, are there any real reasons why it's not allowed?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
jayseattle

Re: Video Screensavers: Are they possible?

I believe the answer is yes. I have a very simple screensaver that pulls in static JPGs from a CDN. Suggest starting with this:
https://blog.roku.com/developer/tutorial-screensavers

and you would have to alter pulling from the image file contained locally to an external stream.
m.top.backgroundURI = “pkg:/images/background.jpg”

Note: I only use static images so you may have to research if another video based component is needed.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Video can not be used in screensavers. 
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
jayseattle

Sorry, to clarify my use of screensaver...
I am packaging screensaver functionality as an app. It may help to think of using video in a Roku application but it can resemble a screensaver. It needs to be manually invoked however and that may not fit your use case.
0 Kudos