Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Games on the Roku

Is anyone contemplating the development of a video game using a Roku channel? I can see how the Paragraph Screen could be used to develop a text based game. I would suggest a channel with several games like this. The lineup would be text adventures, hunt the wumpus, etc. Any ideas? Is it a good idea? Could it be published and approved? What other games would fit the Roku interface? What other components would be useful?
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
sglow
Visitor

Re: Video Games on the Roku

Nethack for Roku? I love it.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Nobody cares about those kind of games anymore. They all want Wii and XBox stuff. Someone could do it for fun, but there is no money in that idea.
0 Kudos

Okay, what about a trivia quiz game? More people might enjoy that kind of thing. Maybe an IQ test. Maybe a multiple choice math test. Just brainstorming. I think once you establish a channel for this kind of content, you could just add and delete things based on popularity. And yes, I am more interested in just having fun and learning. I don't really expect to make money at it. I may never have the time to actually do it either, so I am openly discussing the ideas hoping that others might take up the gauntlet.

Maybe this would cause the long awaited revival of interactive fiction. Just kidding.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

It'd be possible to do something like Onlive is doing, but much simpler. So the Roku would be just delivering the video that a server on the internet is actually rendering.

But the Roku has a very limited remote control, so there's only so much you could do.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"seanlanefuller" wrote:
Okay, what about a trivia quiz game? More people might enjoy that kind of thing. Maybe an IQ test. Maybe a multiple choice math test. Just brainstorming. I think once you establish a channel for this kind of content, you could just add and delete things based on popularity. And yes, I am more interested in just having fun and learning. I don't really expect to make money at it. I may never have the time to actually do it either, so I am openly discussing the ideas hoping that others might take up the gauntlet.

Maybe this would cause the long awaited revival of interactive fiction. Just kidding.

Maybe a Trivia game, but how fun is it to play a one person trivia game? Not much. It isn't a game console so I say don't try to make it into something it isn't. It is a video and music player.
0 Kudos
BoloMKXXVIII
Visitor

You could make it something like the game "scene it" with video clips that players have to identify things about the clips. Might get sued though.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"BoloMKXXVIII" wrote:
You could make it something like the game "scene it" with video clips that players have to identify things about the clips. Might get sued though.

That's not a bad idea. A company like Sceneit could certainly offer an online edition.
0 Kudos

A trivia game could work quite well. The remote is limited, but ideal for trivia. The four arrow buttons could be used to pick your answer. The center button could be used to "lock in" an answer, or it could be used if there are five choices.

This would mean repurposing some of the buttons in the application, however. The up arrow would normally exit from the current title, but this would be used to select one of the answers. The play, FF and rewind buttons would not be needed for this application, so the play button could be repurposed to exit from the current game.

Basically, you would want a live stream of the game. You would want the box to highight your answer, show the score and time remaining, and then show the correct answer. You could, just like bar trivia play with players around the world. Advertising could be displayed between games. If users created an account and linked their box to it, they could compete with users around the world.
0 Kudos
-LD
Visitor

http://movieclips.com/ could be a source of a movie quote clip trivia game.
0 Kudos