Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhawk44

Using ECP to control power on multiple TCL RokuTV units

I work for a school district and we are deploying some TCL RokuTV's.  We have an "energy manager" that works in our facilities department that won't be happy if we leave these TV's on all night (plus they will fail sooner).

With that said, I've used the ECP commands to successfully power on and off our TCL TV's with CURL and even scheduled it to run via a batch file on Windows.  However, there are lots of moving parts there, and various points of failure.  Also, I would like to allow our building administrators to have a bit of oversight into when the TV's come on and off, sort of an override option.

I discovered the "Roku Remote Tool" on the developer page, and it looks promising, however I don't see any options for controlling power.  I assume that is because it is just for Roku hardware, and not TV's with Roku built in.  Can anybody point me in the right direction for any of this?  I'd even be open to making my own internal "website" where staff could click a link to issue a command to one or more TV's in their building.  Basically just want to turn them all on or off at the same time.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
jhawk44

Re: Using ECP to control power on multiple TCL RokuTV units

I was under the impression this was for Roku Developers, of any kind, not just for channels.  I'm using the Roku Remote App to create a script that I can publish to my end users for controlling their Roku embedded devices.  I guess I thought that this was the PERFECT place to post a question about integration, web control, scripting, etc.

0 Kudos
jhawk44

Re: Using ECP to control power on multiple TCL RokuTV units

This is the script I currently have, which will change the power state.  The Roku Remote Tool shows an error for the press: power line, but it still works.

params:
    rasp_version: 1
    default_keypress_wait: 2
steps:
    - press: power
    - pause: 5
    - press: power

This is just a test, but the issue is that it doesn't know the current state of the TV.  So if the TV was already on, it turns it off.  When I issue curl commands from command line, I can use these commands:

curl -d '' "http://10.180.69.110:8060/keypress/powerOn"

curl -d '' "http://10.180.69.110:8060/keypress/powerOff"

Which work great because if the TV is off, it stays off.  Specific power state controls...

0 Kudos