Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Updates to the External Control Guide?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

RokuJoel - I guess you missed the point of the issue

Actually, no, I totally understood the issue and as you can see, successfully pushed for the old behavior to be restored.
However, the "bug" was in fact an intentional design change and not an accident.

You mean
a) it was intentional that (documented!) keypress/backspace stopped working?
and b) it is intentional that this channel alone "beeps wrong" when remote keyboard is used?

I doubt you meant that. Rather you changed the subject.

Just because someone implemented A, it does not mean that B should stop working.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I was only ever commenting on the backspace. Yes, it was intentional that backspace stopped working.

The beep is a separate issue which I have not yet looked into nor filed a bug report about.

- Joel
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Yes, this will be fixed to make keypress/Backspace work the same as keypress/InstantReplay currently does on the search screen.

--Mark
Works for me. Thanks for committing to a fix, now I can not stress about (bad) work arounds.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
I was only ever commenting on the backspace. Yes, it was intentional that backspace stopped working.

The beep is a separate issue which I have not yet looked into nor filed a bug report about.

Sorry, i could not divine that from your comment before, to wit "I filed a bug on this issue with regards to the rewind button not acting as a backspace/delete button. It turns out this is by design, so not really a bug." - you were talking about Rewind button, which has nothing to do with keypress/Backspace. "Backspace" is completely different from both "InstantReplay" and "Rewind", it has no equivalent on the standalone remotes. It seemed to me you filled irrelevant bug and accordingly received irrelevant resolution. Which is annoying, considering Roku Inc provides no other way of communication with developers.

Per RokuMarkn reply, things should get well on Backspace.

Do look into the wrongful beeping though. How hard would it be for QA to use a remote app to do a search? Roku Inc's own app has ~500,000 downloads on iOS and ~250,000 on Android (ballpark. margin of error 50% 😉 ). If we add all other apps, that makes a good MILLION of people that might be affected.

Why am i irked? I have a remote app published, that has <1/10 of "Roku" app users but that is still multiple tens of thousands of people. And it is an app that is useful in situations where Roku Inc's is not (for example networks where player auto-discovery fails). Correspondingly, i answer support emails daily and if Roku Inc screws up something related to ECP, i too will have to answer complaints. So we have common interest here.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi Enterr, sorry you are upset. I didn't realize that the mobile apps were sending a different keypress command for backspace from the rewind key. However, the backspace key is what is being addressed in the fix, not the rewind key.

EDIT: I've also verified the sound effect issue on the search screen and filed a bug report on that as well.

- Joel
0 Kudos