Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pamela_wilson
Channel Surfer

Updated feed url and publish, content is blank after 24hrs

Hi

I made some changes to my feed and decided to point it at a new URL. I changed the URL and hit save.

The feed status shows it ingesting from the new URL. no errors. I added custom categories and publish Furthermore. 
Preview is fine, the feed validates and looks good on device. 

But after 24hrs,  published channel version is updated, but content is blank. 

Please let me know what the problem is. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Updated feed url and publish, content is blank after 24hrs

What did you use to validate the feed file?  If you used a Json linter, it will not find logic errors for missing or required feed items.  For further help, please post your feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
pamela_wilson
Channel Surfer

https://api.myjson.com/bins/1csutx

here is json feed url. would you check if json is valid.

On Channel, shows content - only search icon.

thx

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

First, you should consider a more permanent site for storing your feed file.  Myjson will not give you the performance that a Roku channel requires.

I was able to validate your feed file for logic errors.  The good news is there were none.  However, there are two areas to investigate:

1. Your video items contain numeric tags.  Since your feed file does not contain a Category item, you should make sure that the tags you've defined correspond to an existing Category in the Developer portal.
  2. Recent changes to the Json spec now show that Captions and Trick Play files are now required for Short form videos.  This requirement may be in error (I've actually asked for clarification), but, it may need to be looked into.  I don't know if a missing Caption or Trick Play file will cause a problem with your channel.  At the moment, the Json spec documentation is somewhat confusing.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

I'm having this same problem w/ a new Roku channel we just put into place.  Feed validates at JSONLint and Roku feed checker but the channel only displays a "Search" category with a magnifying class icon and info icon.

Any thoughts on this?

Here's the feed: https://scottwhitneyacademy.com/wp-json/tv/roku/

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I don't know if the following will cause your problem, but, you might want to look into it:

2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1074' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-10-09'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1076' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-10-04'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR Empty 'series' object found in feed file.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1072' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-10-08'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1070' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-10-04'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1068' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-10-01'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1066' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-09-27'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1064' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-09-24'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1062' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-09-20'.
2019-10-09 15:12:50.2360 ERROR '1060' contains an incorrectly formatted 'ReleaseDate'.  Setting date to '2019-09-18'.

You should contact Roku Partner Success.

0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

Where did you go to get these messages?

0 Kudos
pamela_wilson
Channel Surfer

Baradanikto: 
would you have a look this feed url :http://www.caregivingtv.com/Caregiving%20TV%20Assets/feed.json

I used feed file on permanent site you said, but same problem.

thanks

0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

Well, it's working now.  I gave it some time and I added the TrickPlay info for each movie.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The messages I posted are output from software I wrote to create and manage Roku feed files.  Using a Json lint program is not sufficient to eliminate all potential feed errors.  And, Roku does not do a good job at identifying errors when you update your feed within the developer portal.  Logic errors (errors that result from missing, required,  or invalid fields in the feed) are not caught by tools like Notepad or other such tools.  That's why I wrote the software that is available at my banner below.

0 Kudos