Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjb64
Roku Guru

Re: Timestamp in milliseconds

Was too focused thinking about formatting that I didn't even think about the datetime functions, much better and simpler approach.
0 Kudos
dunerunner
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
There are too many significant digits to store in any of the Roku number types, but you can get the milliseconds value as a string:

dt = CreateObject ("roDateTime")
ms = dt.AsSeconds ().ToStr () + Right ("00" + dt.GetMilliseconds ().ToStr (), 3)
Print ms

The problem is I need the timestamp to be a numeric value to make calculations with it and only after that I need to convert it to string.
The direct conversion to string happens inside my ToMilliseconds function.
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Use a rotimespan with it's Mark ability or roappmanagers uptime field , then your only using deltas from the app start in your calculation? The seconds would be smaller, and you could still pull datetime for display using the method Belltown showed. I don't know your exact needs, but could this work?
0 Kudos
dunerunner
Visitor

I am writing an analytics library and need to track the exact time of user actions and send them to server. Sometimes I need to calculate the difference bertween two timestamps. that is why I need it to be numeric. If there were no calculations with the timestamps I would just store them as strings.
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

I'd use an roDateTime to sent to the server, you shouldn't need MS for that, but if you do send seconds and MS as 2 fields if possible, or use the concatentation things from before to send to the server as a string, then use the roTimeSpan or roAppManager uptime to for the difference calculations.
0 Kudos
dunerunner
Visitor

Thank you for all your help, but the answer I came up with looks like this:

ToMilliseconds = Function(time, timestring = "")
If time <> invalid
timestamp = time.AsSeconds()
ms = time.GetMilliseconds()
timestampString = timestamp.ToStr() + ms.ToStr()
Else
timestampString = timestring
End If
low = timestampString.Mid(timestampString.Len() - 9, 9).ToInt()
high = timestampString.Mid(0, timestampString.Len() - 9).ToInt()
output# = high
output# = output# * 1000000000
output# = output# + low

return output#
End Function

And then:
time = CreateObject("roDateTime")
timestamp = GetGlobalAA().util.ToMilliseconds(time)
print timestamp

part1 = Int(timestamp / 1000000).toStr().Trim()

coolString = part1 + "000000"
coolTimestamp = GetGlobalAA().util.ToMilliseconds(invalid, coolString)

part2 = Str(timestamp - coolTimestamp).Trim()

print part1
print part2

timeStampString = part1 + part2
print "--------------"
print timeStampString

BTW BrightScript is the best language in the World Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"dunerunner" wrote:

timestampString = timestamp.ToStr() + ms.ToStr()

I don't think that will work. Depending on the value of ms, you'll be appending either 1, 2 or 3 digits to timestamp.

--Mark
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Belltown's suggestion should fix that:

"belltown" wrote:
There are too many significant digits to store in any of the Roku number types, but you can get the milliseconds value as a string:

dt = CreateObject ("roDateTime")
ms = dt.AsSeconds ().ToStr () + Right ("00" + dt.GetMilliseconds ().ToStr (), 3)
Print ms
0 Kudos
dunerunner
Visitor

Thanks, fixed it.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

All this pain and suffering. Seems like a case of "if something is too hard, perhaps you are approaching it the wrong way".

How about using roDateTime.toISOString()?
You get a timestamp which (a) can be used directly for comparisons (because of the format used, string lexical order gives you proper chronological order) and (b) can be converted server-side to native timestamp, if time differences are to be calculated.
0 Kudos