Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

The number of app ratings went DOWN... how?

Today i noticed something - four days ago my app had 66 ratings, now it has 65. How is that possible?

I know "accounts installed" can vary up and down based on how many people are retaining a channel in their lineup. But ratings? I have looked for a way to "retract" my vote before and there isn't any. Thus it seems to me the number of votes should be a strictly non-decreasing (or "monotonically increasing") function. What could cause a decrement?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
JeffHaas
Visitor

Re: The number of app ratings went DOWN... how?

I've observed the same thing. My assumption is someone gave your channel a rating, then later deletes the channel thus taking the rating with it.

Anyone care to confirm my guess?
~Jeff
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"JeffHaas" wrote:
I've observed the same thing. My assumption is someone gave your channel a rating, then later deletes the channel thus taking the rating with it.

Anyone care to confirm my guess?

Possibly - albeit strange behavior, isn't it?
Besides the technical difficulty of back-pedaling ratings, that would be like Netflix removing ratings for a movie I haven't watched recently. And if I hated a movie, why should I watch it again to rate it?

I'll try testing this hypothesis now by rating my channel, taking count - then deleting channel from account and taking count again, then maybe adding again etc. Will likely have to wait half a day between each step for count updates
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

Roku has a pretty strongly worded rule against storing box serial numbers, so if a user deletes a channel, all information is deleted permanently from any storage, anywhere. If they are following that same rule deleting all information, and delete their account/app record, which it looks by the count decrementing they might just do, and if they store our ratings in that same account/app record, which would make sense datawise, the ratings would drop just like you both saw. My two cents...
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"sjb64" wrote:
Roku has a pretty strongly worded rule against storing box serial numbers, so if a user deletes a channel, all information is deleted permanently from any storage, anywhere. If they are following that same rule deleting all information, and delete their account/app record, which it looks by the count decrementing they might just do, and if they store our ratings in that same account/app record, which would make sense datawise, the ratings would drop just like you both saw. My two cents...

Of course they don't follow the same policy... "Do what I say, not what I do". Smiley LOL A tad more seriously, there are reasons for not wanting to tie to hardware id (like switching accounts/owners or progress portability).

In practical terms, Roku do not delete one's voting record on channel removal. Which I know by voting, deleting, re-adding - and channel info shows my vote again (whether counted is TBD, per above)
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"sjb64" wrote:

Channels are tied to an account, not a specific box, so the serial number would never come into play.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
"JeffHaas" wrote:
... My assumption is someone gave your channel a rating, then later deletes the channel thus taking the rating with it. Anyone care to confirm my guess?
... I'll try testing this hypothesis now

Yes - seems your guess was right and removing a channel removes one's opinion on it.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
"JeffHaas" wrote:
... My assumption is someone gave your channel a rating, then later deletes the channel thus taking the rating with it. Anyone care to confirm my guess?
... I'll try testing this hypothesis now

Yes - seems your guess was right and removing a channel removes one's opinion on it.

That sounds like a bug to me. If that's intentional, it would mean the ratings would be skewed toward the higher end, since I can't imagine too many people will keep channels installed that they've given a low rating.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
sjb64
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
Channels are tied to an account, not a specific box, so the serial number would never come into play.

I know, I was using that just as a reference to their deletion policy, that if they followed the same mindset with channel deletion from an account, ratings would vanish. Could have worded it better, but regardless was only a guess.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
That sounds like a bug to me. If that's intentional, it would mean the ratings would be skewed toward the higher end, since I can't imagine too many people will keep channels installed that they've given a low rating.

It stacks the card deck, yes. But can't imagine it being a bug - subtracting a vote is an extra step to do and very unlikely to happen as unintended side effect. I suspect is an intentional "feature".
0 Kudos