Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Task Not Running

Can somebody point out the obvious mistake that keeps the task from running.  Trying to work into scene graph by following 
examples and post from other users. Starting to follow the procedure somewhat but having a problem with getting a simple
task to run. I know I will need to create an observe but just trying to get into the brs code for now.

HomeScene.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<component name = "HomeScene" extends = "Scene" >

<script type="text/brightscript" >

<![CDATA[

sub init()
    print "inside homescene"
    m.readChannelListContentTask = createObject("roSGNode", "ChannelContentReader")
   m.readChannelListContentTask.control = "RUN"
   end sub
    ]]>
</script>
</component>

ChannelContentreader.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<component name="ChannelContentReader" extends="Task" >

<interface>
   <field id="channelcontent" type="node" />
</interface>

<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/channelcontentreader.brs"/>
    <script type="text/brightscript">

<![CDATA[
      function init()
       m.top.functionName = "readcontent"
         end function

]]>
</script>

</component>

ChannelContentReader.brs

ChannelContentReader.brs
 Sub readcontent()
Print "INDSIDE readcontent"
end sub
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Task Not Running

Your code looks ok.  What makes you think the task isn't running?  Are you connecting to port 8090 in the debugger to see the first task debug console?  That's where "INDSIDE readcontent" should print.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thanks for looking over. Once I connected to correct port I see it's running.
Thanks
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

I read the docs a couple of times and never saw this mentioned in the downloading with task. Maybe its in the debugging area but i think this needs to be there, spent most of the day looking for this answer.

Tasks debugging has to be done in port 8090, i was looking as 8089...
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"adrianc1982" wrote:
I read the docs a couple of times and never saw this mentioned in the downloading with task. Maybe its in the debugging area but i think this needs to be there, spent most of the day looking for this answer.

Tasks debugging has to be done in port 8090, i was looking as 8089...

It's documented here: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Debugging+Scene+Graph+Applications
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos