Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
podworx
Streaming Star

Switching Channel from SDK to Direct Publisher

Hello,

I posted this on the Direct Publisher forum as well.  Hope that is ok.

We have an existing Roku Channel that was created using the SDK.  We would like to replace it with a Direct Publisher-based Channel.  Same URL, same placement in the channel store, and still using existing analytics.  For folks already subscribed to the existing channel, when the new RDP channel is launched, it replaces the previous content/layout.

I don't see how I make that switch.

Is it possible?  If so, how do I do so?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
podworx
Streaming Star

Re: Switching Channel from SDK to Direct Publisher

Is there anybody from Roku monitoring this forum?
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Yeah, but it's only been one day man!
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

It can't be done natively, in otherwords, there isn't an established method in the dashboard to achieve it. None that I'm aware of. However I would try reaching out to Roku in some way (mod: Roku Shawn or Joel or whoever the current one is). Or if you have any contacts or past emails you can reach out to.

Possibly it can be done on their back end, I'm not really sure either way of how much of a technical workaround it would be for them, (possibly it just can't) but you should get in touch & see if they can assist you in this. Makes sense what your asking, it's just the technical/backend of if they can do it. Hopefully they foresaw things like this when implementing the DP infrastructure & anticipated conversions like this.
0 Kudos
podworx
Streaming Star

"37mediagroup" wrote:
It can't be done natively, in otherwords, there isn't an established method in the dashboard to achieve it. None that I'm aware of. However I would try reaching out to Roku in some way (mod: Roku Shawn or Joel or whoever the current one is). Or if you have any contacts or past emails you can reach out to.

Possibly it can be done on their back end, I'm not really sure either way of how much of a technical workaround it would be for them, (possibly it just can't) but you should get in touch & see if they can assist you in this. Makes sense what your asking, it's just the technical/backend of if they can do it. Hopefully they foresaw things like this when implementing the DP infrastructure & anticipated conversions like this.

Appreciate the suggestion. Thank you.
0 Kudos
villamark
Reel Rookie

Hello

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, I have a SDK Channel and would like to convert to a Direct Publisher Channel to maintain the same ID and User Data.

I found in the Knowledge Center that this can be done with drop menu in the  Manage My Channels section, there is a link to ¨Convert to Direct Publisher¨

https://partnersuccess.roku.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011403673?input_string=converting+form+sdk+to+d...

Bue when I enter into Manage My Channels in the drop menu I don't have this option.

Do I need first to create a new DP Channel and then apply this Conversion?

The SDK Channel is not public.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Just looking at my own channels, public channels have that option and private channels do not.  I don't know anything about DP channels so I don't know if there's a requirement that they be public.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
villamark
Reel Rookie

Thank you

These channels were developed and maintained by a third party but they are no longer in this business and the channels names and the users were transferred to us a long time ago, but without the app package(files), and that is why I would like to re-activate these channels again using Direct Publish option and a Feed.

The channels are published(tag on the thumbnail) and in the details is this info:

Type: Custom SDK

Public: No

Don´t know if here something else we have to do to convert o assign this channels to Directo Publisher

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think you'd have to convert it to a public channel first.  I don't know what it takes to do that, but if you want to try you should contact partnersuccess@roku.com

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos