Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TabloCraig
Visitor

Supporting SD Mode

In a recent Roku firmware update, the list of possible screen resolutions when using an HDMI-attached display no longer includes SD options.

Section 3.4 of the channel certification guide states:

3.4 Channel is designed in 1080p and properly functions when scaled to all available Roku supported displays: SD (when available), HD, FHD, 4K.

Are channels required to support SD mode if the attached display is SD, or can channels still be certified without this?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

Re: Supporting SD Mode

We dropped SD support on our apps in late 2016 and have not been denied certification.
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

i think SD support is required and "when available" refers to the fact most players do not have composite output (yellow for video + red/white for audio).

Note if writing RSG app, there is not much you have to do for such support - just make sure 2 things are in place:

1. in `manifest` file there is a `ui_resolutions=` line

2. with a value which does not contain sd (reminder, that value points out what resolutions app is prepared to handle - be it hd, fhd or "hd,fhd" - the unmentioned resolutions will be handled by RSG with automatic scaling)
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"Tyler Smith" wrote:
We dropped SD support on our apps in late 2016 and have not been denied certification.

Perhaps the app works in SD against your lack of intentional support, for automagical reason mentioned above.
What did your "SD support" consist of, when you did?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The word for the day is 'automagical' - I like it!
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
The word for the day is 'automagical' - I like it!

!
:mrgreen:
0 Kudos
TabloCraig
Visitor

"RokuNB" wrote:
i think SD support is required and "when available" refers to the fact most players do not have composite output (yellow for video + red/white for audio).

Note if writing RSG app, there is not much you have to do for such support

We don't use SG besides the player, yet. 
Would it be possible to get a confirmation that supporting SD mode is no longer required for certified channels?
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"TabloCraig" wrote:
In a recent Roku firmware update, the list of possible screen resolutions when using an HDMI-attached display no longer includes SD options.

i don't think SD-over-HDMI was a "proper" resolution, possibly was there just to help testing. But if you connect the SD cables to a player that has supports composite output (on some that's yellow/white/red RCA connectors, on some through the "phone jack" with the cable supplied)

which specific models (model#) did you have SD option over HDMI, do you remember?
0 Kudos
TabloCraig
Visitor

"RokuNB" wrote:
which specific models (model#) did you have SD option over HDMI, do you remember?

I had a 2720X that was dedicated to SD testing. I think there were some other models, I want to say the 3050, that also allowed SD. I am not sure when the option disappeared since it's not something that is actively used; it's only tested and adjusted before significant channel releases.
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

"RokuNB" wrote:
"Tyler Smith" wrote:

Perhaps the app works in SD against your lack of intentional support, for automagical reason mentioned above.
What did your "SD support" consist of, when you did?

This is a valid point.  We build our UI's based on percentages of the output height/width and drop the SD declaration in the manifest. So yes, it would have scaled down to SD 🙂
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos