Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Subtitles roVideoScreen

The override code for this isn't working.
roku version 5.5 build 415
model 4200x

If I put this before the screen.setcontent(episode), and before screen.show() - or if I set it after screen.setcontent(episode) and before screen.show() - it doesn't show the srt file subtitles with an mp4 if the roku's caption setting is OFF.
screen.ShowSubtitle(TRUE)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
adrianc1982
Visitor

Re: Subtitles roVideoScreen

video.SetContent(videoclip)
video.show()
video.ShowSubtitle(true)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Right, and if you have it disabled in the roku settings menu, it doesn't override it, so it's still broken for rovideoscreen.
Just tested After setting content and After show like you posted and it doesn't work. Disable or set captions to off in settings/captions and see what happens on your roku for rovideoscreen.
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

let me do that now..

just give me 10 minutes and ill answer back.

But this is easily fixable.

you just have to programatically set the subtitles back on..

just check the state, change state, and put the state back like it was when you are done..
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

tested just now on mkv and subs show on screen(embebbed srt) with subtitles disabled from roku main menu..

i dont have an mp4 to test, but it works on mkv.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

That's great it works for MKV - but we're using MP4s. with "Streams" and you still didn't answer with a model and firmware version.
I hope roku will at least look at it, because it's not overriding it on a sideloaded test package for us.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Does

episode.SubtitleConfig = {ShowSubtitle: 1, TrackName: "<url from where the caption track can be downloaded>"}

work in this case?
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
Does

episode.SubtitleConfig = {ShowSubtitle: 1, TrackName: "<url from where the caption track can be downloaded>"}

work in this case?

this is not an option when handling thousands of videos and the subs are already inside the file.

i beg to differ and go the way to change the main subs option programatically

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... deasString

update: this only gets the current settings, theres no SET only GET
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

That's a decent idea adrianc - if the captions don't show up at least we can get the current mode and inform the user to enable captions. Thank you.
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
That's a decent idea adrianc - if the captions don't show up at least we can get the current mode and inform the user to enable captions. Thank you.

when the developer doesnt have an option, the only road to take is to inform the user that he needs to fix it for himself. So theres no shame in telling the user that his subtitles are off and that he wont be able to enjoy subs in your app unless he goes and sets them on.

Besides the really anoying thing is to select the subs every time a video starts, enabling once in the main menu and having them run forever in your app is not that big of a deal.
0 Kudos