Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smurfysmurf
Visitor

Subscription channels, i'm stuck...

Hello, I have a couple questions... I'm not a programmer but I can look at code and get an understanding of what's happening and manipulate it to a certain extent to do what I wantI've been tasked with the job to see if I can figure out how to make an SDK channel (we've made a couple channels through direct publisher but it's very limiting).

1. I'm using a template I've come across as I like the layout of the channel but at the moment this would just be a free channel if we published it, we want to make a channel with a monthly subscription but I've been looking everywhere I can and can't find any documentation on adding a subscription element to a channel. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm happy to spend the time reading I just can't find any instruction/tutorial on making a subscription based channel!

2. I may be completely wrong but I assume the subscription element is dealt with outside of Roku? as in link the channel to an external membership service.

3. depending on the answers to the previous questions... is a subscription element something you can add to a ready built channel template? or do you need to build from scratch?

thanks.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Subscription channels, i'm stuck...

"smurfysmurf" wrote:

3. depending on the answers to the previous questions... is a subscription element something you can add to a ready built channel template? or do you need to build from scratch?

thanks.

Yes. it's easily done. When you submit the channel, the web portal asks you if/how you wish to monetize it. Payments are handled by Roku, via PayPal.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
smurfysmurf
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
"smurfysmurf" wrote:

thanks.

Yes. it's easily done. When you submit the channel, the web portal asks you if/how you wish to monetize it. Payments are handled by Roku, via PayPal.

Oh really it's that simple? great, I'll check it out! thanks!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The second one is really the only one that makes sense.  Definitely not the last two.  You should probably make it free to install, but if users want to watch anything they will have to start a subscription.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos