Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strem Format from URL

Hi All,

How can I find a Strem Format from the URL. Suppose I have a URL in youtube, how will i know the Stream Format of the Video so that I can use it in my roku to view the video.

Is there any way I can make use of formats which are not supported by Roku.

Thanks
Ambrose
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: Strem Format from URL

"a_anandraj_2000" wrote:
Hi All,

How can I find a Strem Format from the URL. Suppose I have a URL in youtube, how will i know the Stream Format of the Video so that I can use it in my roku to view the video.
I use VLC to check on video properties. Put the url into vlc (Ctrl-N on windows). Once it starts playing, you can use the tools menu to access codec information. Be aware that Youtube urls won't work like this (it is difficult to parse out the correct link to the mp4 version of a youtube video, and also Google disallows showing them on browser-less devices unless you have an agreement with them).
"a_anandraj_2000" wrote:

Thanks
Ambrose
You can try transcoding the content, using open source or commercial encoders. For a public channel, this may not be feasible (requires significant cpu and bandwidth availability). A better approach is to work with the content provider to get the content into a Roku-friendly format at the source.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: Strem Format from URL

"a_anandraj_2000" wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Ambrose

remember that a URL of a webpage with an embedded video player such as a youtube video is not the same as the actual URL of the stream itself. If something you see online has an embedded video player it's going to most likely be Flash. A rule f thumb is that if you can view it with an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) then it can be viewed on Roku
0 Kudos