Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myersn024
Visitor

Strange External Control API problem

I started playing around with the external control API last night, and I've written a simple Android app to act as a Roku remote. All the buttons work right except for when I'm in the Channel Store and Netflix. When using either of those channels, the button presses only work once out of ten or twelve tries. I'm using the keypress api for all the buttons. Do those two channels respond better to a keydown/keyup combo or is it more likely that I'm doing something wrong? I'd generally assume the latter, but everything works fine in the other channels that I've tried. I tried using telnet to see if there was any difference, and the Roku takes those commands without hesitation.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Strange External Control API problem

I don't know if it's been addressed in 3.0 or not, but it's a known issue with the grid screen. You should use keydown/keyup combinations as a workaround.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
myersn024
Visitor

Awesome! Thanks for the insight into the issue.
0 Kudos
lshanepowers
Visitor

I know this post is old but can you send the keypress and keyup commands in the same string or must it be sent separately?
I'm sending commands from an automation controller and it would be difficult with its current structure to send multiple commands if you can't tie them together.
Thanks,
-Shane
0 Kudos
lshanepowers
Visitor

Never mind, I got it working.
0 Kudos

Is this fixed in 3.0?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

No... 😞

But it is fixed in 3.1 and 4.2. which we have planned for release in the coming weeks (before the end of the year). More information should be available soon regarding other upcoming changes in these releases.
0 Kudos