Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Store info

I have a channel thats all 2-D. I am using the store info to grab a users name/email for a comment screen.
When the user first does this, the channel store message appears "do you want to share etc...."
However it seems like the channel store message is an imagecanvas or other stock screen so it does two bad things -

1 - blacks out the screen ( no overlay of the message)
2- After closing the store screen, and back on a roscreen, the very next time the user hits the back button - it exits the channel completely.

I can live with the non-overlay thing but exiting the channel makes it seem broken.
What can i do about this? Can i access the store info another way so i can build my own screen?

Thanks

P.S. here is previous problem caused by this store screen - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67464
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: Store info

You may want to try to clear the message queue
While port.getmessage <> invalid end while
After exiting the message screen. Just a thought
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thanks NML, the store screen creates itself - it's coming from the firmware - so it must be creating its own port, so how can i know which port to clear? Roku?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If the channel exits completely when the back button is hit with no crash-dump on your port 8085 telnet session, that usually indicates that you have closed the last screen in your stack. If you create a facade screen when the channel first starts:
sub main()
facade=createobject("roImageCanvas")
facade.show()

...that should eliminate this problem.

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Joel, I tried that already and it just exits to the facade screen.

Also, I haven't exited the last screen in my stack, the store dialog comes up, you chose your option and it closes. Now I'm looking at my comment screen. I close the comment screen without using the back button. Now I'm at the slideshow where the roStore/comment screen was called from. At that point the back button exits the channel instead of closing the slideshow. If i use the back button while on the comment screen, it exits the channel then.

If you consider this issue and the previous one i linked too, the store clearly needs a way to interact with 2-D channels, which you all are encouraging us to build.

So - what is the name of the port created by the store screen?

Thanks
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You have to create a port and call ifChannelStore.SetmesagePort(port) or you will definitely run into problems, I don't recall offhand what the bugs are regarding that, but there are a few.

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I'm really already doing this to "drain" the duplicate button presses I get from the store screen. Still exiting.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Dropbox me a link to download an example that demonstrates this issue, preferably one that leaves out the overhead of the rest of your channel, if possible. I'll take a look and file a bug if necessary.

- Joel
0 Kudos
fppoce
Visitor

This is the same as my issue

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=83770&p=479748&hilit=back+key#p479748

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"fppoce" wrote:
This is the same as my issue

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=83770&p=479748&hilit=back+key#p479748

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks

Yea, actually Roku solved my problem by taking away the ability to use this feature on non-billing channels.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos