Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is there a contact for Roku support for developers?

Fantastic! Since my channel is developed through InstantTVChannel.com, I would need to let them know how to implement the workaround so, please, if someone let me know how to pass that along, I would love it. I also forwarded the findings onto Wavestreaming to see if they can simply resolve it on their end. Thank you everybody
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

My first guess would be OddScott 

@ThirdWaveSka - can you pls change the thread topic? Like click the edit "pen" on your first post and change to something like "Troubles Wavestreaming to Roku". Current title by now is misleading
0 Kudos

No, I'm sorry, I meant, what should I tell InstantTVChannel what the workaround should be? I know how to contact them. I want to make sure that I understand how to resolve this so I can help everyone else in the future without having to bother all you nice folks. 
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Sound Artifacts From Wavestreaming To Roku

"ThirdWaveSka" wrote:
ThirdWaveSka:No, I'm sorry, I meant, what should I tell InstantTVChannel what the workaround should be? I know how to contact them. I want to make sure that I understand how to resolve this so I can help everyone else in the future without having to bother all you nice folks. 

The workaround is to add a User-Agent HTTP request header for the roAudioPlayer object that is something other than "Roku/DVP...".

For example:
audioPlayer = CreateObject ("roAudioPlayer")
audioPlayer.AddHeader ("User-Agent", "Agent 42")
0 Kudos

Patch applied and submitted to Roku for approval. Hoping for the best. Will post results. Thanks everybody. TuneIn still has artifacts and doesn't show album art. ThirdWaveSka doesn't even play on Shoutcast channel. Darkest before the dawn
0 Kudos

Received approval for channel update today. Unfortunately the work around did not work. Artifacts are still present in ThirdWaveSka channel version 1.1, Shoutcast and TuneIn. Basically in every Roku stream. Sound is glorious in every other outlet. 
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"ThirdWaveSka" wrote:
Received approval for channel update today. Unfortunately the work around did not work. Artifacts are still present in ThirdWaveSka channel version 1.1, Shoutcast and TuneIn. Basically in every Roku stream. Sound is glorious in every other outlet. 

The channel is still sending the same HTTP headers as before. Specifically, the User-Agent header is a "Roku" user-agent string, which as we previously determined was causing the ShoutCast server to embed meta-data in the mp3 audio stream.
I still think the workaround will work -- but it has to be implemented correctly.

GET / HTTP/1.1
Connection: close
Host: stereo.wavestreamer.com:2735
User-Agent: Roku/DVP-7.20 (027.20E04100A)

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
icy-notice1:<BR>This stream requires <a href="http://www.winamp.com">Winamp</a><BR>
icy-notice2:SHOUTcast DNAS/posix(linux x64) v2.4.7.256<BR>
icy-name:Third Wave Ska
icy-genre:Punk
icy-br:128
icy-url:http://www.thirdwaveska.com
icy-pub:1
content-type:audio/mpeg
icy-metaint:16384
X-Clacks-Overhead:GNU Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos

Thank you for taking a look.  I will get back with both InstantTVChannel and Wavestreaming.  Is there any chance that this can be fixed on the Roku end or are these workarounds my only possibility of keeping my channel? I realize that the fix is to filter the header data but is this a concern that Roku is interested in?
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Your AudioUserAgent string on the Theme page in Instant TV Channel is blank. Put something in it, like "thirdska" (without the quotes). Then try the stream again.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos

Thank you OddScott, That did resolve the issue of the artifacts on my InstantTVChannel. However now none of the metadata is showing up. So here's how I stand right now. 

First of all, there are no issues with any stream or metadata on any platform outside of Roku.

On the Shoutcast App, my Third Wave Ska station buffers to 19% then says "Unfortunately, an error has occurred during playback". This has been occurring ever since I started the station back up two months ago.

On the TuneIn App. Third Wave Ska takes about 2 or 3 minutes to buffer and then has artifacts. No Metadata.

On ThirdWaveSka App. No Artifacts. No Metadata, about 2 or 3 minutes to buffer. It does take the full buffering because it's about a full song behind the live station.

I rebooted the server stream. Verified metadata and clean sound on PC, tablet, Amazon store, Apple TV. 

I truly appreciate everyone who has worked on this with me. I would have cancelled this channel along time ago if it wasn't for this forum. I really believe in the Roku Platform and think it's vital to be on it for anything entertainment wise going forward. 
0 Kudos