Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Some background info on RokuTV?

Now that officially cat is out of the bag, can you give us some developer-relevant information on Roku TV whatabouts?
For example:
  • Has access to public/private channels just like standalone Roku players?

• Has GLES (accelerated graphics)?

• Some idea on performance (CPU or relative to existing players) and resources avail
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Re: Some background info on RokuTV?

"EnTerr" wrote:
  • Has access to public/private channels just like standalone Roku players?

Yes.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Good news that.
Anything on the OpenGL question and relative performance/specs?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Uses DirectFB, not openGL on this hardware.

make sure you explicitly set double-buffering when using 2D API as unlike other Roku devices, if you forget to set this, it will flicker badly if you call swapbuffers.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:

Aw shucks. And I was hoping 27xx models and their issues will be going away.

That means Marma-late apps cannot run on RokuTV, doesn't it?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Yeah, pretty much. Marmalade apps probably will only work on Roku2 XS/XD/Roku3/original streaming stick (although I think they technically should work on original LT, that isn't enabled at this time, due to lack of motion support), the StreamingStick USB powered doesn't support motion hardware, I suppose we should see what happens if we load a marmalade app on it, should work for non-motion apps, theoretically...

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Yeah, pretty much. Marmalade apps probably will only work on Roku2 XS/XD/Roku3/original streaming stick (although I think they technically should work on original LT, that isn't enabled at this time, due to lack of motion support), the StreamingStick USB powered doesn't support motion hardware, I suppose we should see what happens if we load a marmalade app on it, should work for non-motion apps, theoretically...

I see. That's a precious nugget of info there, that Marma-laden apps are limited to only 3050/3100, 3400 and 4200 (Roku 2 XD/XS, MHL stick, Roku 3). Don't know the model break-down % but it may as well double the target market if 2400, 3000 and 3500 (ARM LT, Roku 2 HD, HDMI stick) are to be enabled too.

I was keen on trying myself at Marmalade development because of the graphic abilities. Not that it is absolutely impossible to write a game in BrS - i tried myself at writing 2048 for Roku and was quite pleased with the performance i was able to get - 60fps on fw5 (30fps on fw3) made for a much pleasing smooth movement of the pieces (i know, i know - app is unfinished - no audio, no intro, no highscores). But ifDraw2D API is lacking in primitives, e.g. no way to draw a solid triangle which curbs other ideas.

Now that i see Marmalades are to be limited to only a part of the OpenGL Rokus... my enthusiasm goes "poof!". No RokuTV for technical reasons i understand; but no HDMI stick either = :(. And i am probably not alone in trying to gauge the reach before jumping into the jam.

Let me make an argument for extending Merma-lad reach, hope a "decider" will read it: motion remote is not really "all that and a bag of chips", not "the bees knees". Sure one can make Wii type of games (and they should). And including Angry Birds with some players was a marketing coup (although not as fun to play as on touch-screen devices). But there are much more games that work great with a D-pad remote which all Rokus have. My first-hand experience with 2048 on Roku - it worked fabulously well with any remote, it needs only 4 keys (not my fault - i did not invent the game).
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:

make sure you explicitly set double-buffering when using 2D API as unlike other Roku devices, if you forget to set this, it (Roku TV) will flicker badly if you call swapbuffers.

- Joel

How do I explicitly set double-buffering? Is that just the "true" in my roScreen parameters?

screen = CreateObject("roScreen", TRUE, 1280, 720)

Or is there anything else I would need to do?
0 Kudos