Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Roku Devs: Roku Whiteboard

I ported node-whiteboard, my node.js/HTML5 Canvas app, to the Roku. It allows you to collaboratively draw using any browser supporting HTML5. A video demo w/ an iPad and Safari can be seen here: http://yfrog.com/jb76977570z . The Roku version uses roImageCanvas for display and long polling to grab all user points from a node.js server. The issue with the Roku version is it's very slow to render. I've posted the code on github in the roku subdirectory: https://github.com/jordanmessina/node-whiteboard

Here's a quick video demo of the Roku version (don't mind my dog):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOIzC4kPMr4

As you can see, it's somewhat slow to display the points on the Roku. I thought it might have been the url request blocking on the thread and not allowing the canvas to finish rendering, but upon further investigation it doesn't seem to be that. I was hoping to get some advice with a more efficient rendering technique, or even a better Roku object to use that would accomplish the same thing as roImageCanvas. Thanks in advance for any help. Also, fork it and make it your own if you wish 🙂
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
mainmanc
Visitor

Re: Show Roku Devs: Roku Whiteboard

Are you running 3.0 SDK?

You might take a look at the newer/updated components for 2D rendering like:

roScreen
roBitmap
roCompositor
roSprite

Cool proof of concept though. 🙂

Cheers.
0 Kudos

"mainmanc" wrote:
Are you running 3.0 SDK?

roScreen
roBitmap
roCompositor
roSprite

Cheers.

Wow, I guess I completely overlooked this announcement. This is exactly what I'm looking for, and I've already got about 90% of the work complete 🙂

Thanks for the heads up!
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

pretty cool. just checked out the demo. have you thought of turning this into a game similar to charades? just a thought.
0 Kudos

"mainmanc" wrote:
Are you running 3.0 SDK?

roScreen
roBitmap
roCompositor
roSprite

Cheers.

After looking at the firmware version on my Roku and trying to understand the development blog, do I still need to request access to the firmware to run the 3.0 SDK or will it run on Roku firmware v3.1? I was using SDK v2.9...
0 Kudos

"uarlive" wrote:
pretty cool. just checked out the demo. have you thought of turning this into a game similar to charades? just a thought.

Thanks for checking it out! I was considering it. I've been having a lot of fun porting it to different devices and just using it as is. All the code is on Github, so anyone who wishes to turn it into a full fledged game can do it if they want!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"jordanmessina" wrote:
After looking at the firmware version on my Roku and trying to understand the development blog, do I still need to request access to the firmware to run the 3.0 SDK or will it run on Roku firmware v3.1? I was using SDK v2.9...

It will run on 3.0 or above, so 3.1 or 4.x is fine.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice and info regarding the SDK v3.0! I used roScreen and it's working perfectly. Here's a new video showing it off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4dhYm3iArU

Like I said, the code's on github so feel free to do what you want with it.

Thanks again,
Jordan
0 Kudos