Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmarsden
Visitor

Shared registry data in production apps

I have data being written to registry using roRegistrySection in my apps. There are multiple apps (different names, similar code) in production. It would appear that the registry is being shared in some capacity between the two. It was my understanding that production apps can't read registry written by others. It's reproducible. 

Am I wrong about the sandboxing of production apps?
If not, what could cause these registration overlaps? 
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
johnmarsden
Visitor

Re: Shared registry data in production apps

Different apps with the same genkey/signature.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"johnmarsden" wrote:
 It was my understanding that production apps can't read registry written by others. It's reproducible. 

Am I wrong about the sandboxing of production apps?

Each dev ID has it's own registry. If you want multiple apps to read the same data, use the same dev ID to pkg. If you don't, use a different ID.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Alternately you could use different key/section names for each channel using the same devID... 🙂  But then you will run out of space sooner as there is a set total limit of space to use.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"johnmarsden" wrote:
Different apps with the same genkey/signature.

The registry is unique per "developer ID" (genkey-signature), not per app. That is by design, to allow different apps under the same signer to share registry. Either use different key or different registry section per app. See https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roRegistry
0 Kudos
johnmarsden
Visitor

Thanks for the responses guys 
0 Kudos