Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Search button on Roku 4 and Roku Ultra - hard coded?

So I don't own a second version Roku 3 (4230), a Roku 4 (4400) or the new Roku Ultra (4640), but in pictures I see what looks like a "search" button on the remote, a little magnifying glass. On Roku 3 and Roku 4 it replaces the Replay button, while on Roku Ultra it is next to it as an additional button.

My question is, is this button completely hard-wired just like the Home button? Or do we have access to it via roUniversalControlEvent? I'd love to be able to offer my game players another potential button to customize the in-game control scheme. If we have access, what is the code? Of the codes I know from 0-18, all are accounted for except 1, 12, 14, 16

EDIT - I found a note I wrote that maybe it's 12?

0,100 Back
2,102 Up
3,103 Down
4,104 Left
5,105 Right
6,106 OK
7,107 Instant Replay
8,108 Rewind
9,109 Fast Forward
10,110 Info
11,111 Backspace (not on remote)
(12,112 search?)
13,113 Play
15,115 Enter (not on remote)
17,117 A
18,118 B
22,122 Play Only (not on remote)
23,123 Stop (not on remote)
24, 25 Volume up, down (not on remote) 
(32 Keyboard?)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Search button on Roku 4 and Roku Ultra - hard coded?

Yes, it's very hard-coded..
Moreover, on RokuTV the "*" button is sequestered currently - meaning that even in apps it shows the TV settings side menu and you won't "hear" it. Fingers crossed that gets fixed - since it is fixable.
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
Moreover, on RokuTV the "*" button is sequestered currently - meaning that even in apps it shows the TV settings side menu and you won't "hear" it. Fingers crossed that gets fixed - since it is fixable.

I'd hope so, but it looks like they are making this change globally (to earlier to really tell). They have also taken over the '*' button during video playback when using the roVideoPlayer on the new models (running come custom 7.2.2 firmware). https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96966&p=541770
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:

So far on my RokuTV it doesn't do this, I can use "*" just fine in my game. Maybe it handles differently when roScreen is being used?
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"Komag" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

So far on my RokuTV it doesn't do this, I can use "*" just fine in my game. Maybe it handles differently when roScreen is being used?

Yeah, I thought it was always, but it looks like the Roku TV only overrides it during video playback, like the new roku models.
0 Kudos