Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dspangle
Visitor

Scene Graph RowList questions

i have been playing with the Scene Graph RowList component and I have some questions about how its rendered. i have a really big list of genres and i would rather not hit our api for each rows content before i draw the scene. i would like to hit the api only as needed as the user scrolls along. i have figured out a way to do this, but when i receive the results and append new children to a row the RowList does not automatically re-render itself. the only way i can get it to re-render is by re-setting the RowList.content field explicitly. that's fine, but when i do this and the re-render happens it automatically jumps the focus back the coord 0, 0. if i try to "save" the focused item coords before i set the content and then set RowList.jumpToRowItem to that saved coord the system freezes every time. in fact, i haven't been able to use jumpToRowItem anywhere without a crash. and i dont mean the channel crashes. it crashes the whole device, and ive tried it on a 1 and a 3. in short, i would like to know if theres a way to not have it jump back to 0, 0 automatically when the content is set or figure out how to use jumpToRowItem peacefully.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuRobB
Streaming Star

Re: Scene Graph RowList questions

This issue will be fixed in the next release.
0 Kudos
BCVatOVG
Visitor

Running into this SAME problem. Not sure what to do. When will the fix be released?
0 Kudos
BCVatOVG
Visitor

This looks to be fixed in Version 7.10 b4062 which began limited roll out on 4/5/2016
0 Kudos
dspangle
Visitor

i have not seen it fixed. myRowList.jumpToRowItem = [x, y] still crashes the whole system. resetting myRowList.content still jumps to [0, 0] automatically. im wondering how you have your stuff set up and what exactly was changed. if i knew what changed, maybe i could rework how my rowList is being populated to how its supposed to be done.
0 Kudos
BCVatOVG
Visitor

Have you confirmed you are on the latest firmware? I had to put in a firmware check to make sure the firmware was >= 7.10b4062 so I didn't crash the app on boxes running older versions. I basically didn't handle it on older firmware as I just wouldn't jump, I just reset the content and let it jump to [0,0] on older firmware (since I knew this was a bug and would be fixed)

I am using it as RowList.jumpToRowItem = RowList.rowItemFocused

so I am not specifying the coordinates, I am letting it read from the focused item. (actually my code is more complex as I cache the RowList.rowItemFocused). If you can provide me with a simple code example I can try and test it for you.

Thanks
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

In 7.1, the RowList should update automatically when you add children to the parent ContentNode. In 7.0, you had to jump through hoops to get it to refresh dynamically. In other words, in 7.1, you shouldn't need to ever reset myRowList.content, unless you're replacing the contents entirely. If you're just adding new rows, that should happen automatically when you append the child to the rowlist's content. I'm doing this without issue. Can you provide some sample code that isn't working for you?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dspangle
Visitor

thanks for the quick responses. i was having problems with jumpToRowItem on my 3500X because it crashed so hard once it reverted to 7.0, which i thought was weird. i swore i had updated it. anyhow, i fixed it by observing the content field and doing rowList.jumpToRowItem = rowList.rowItemSelected every time the content changes. worked for me.
0 Kudos
psatish
Visitor

I am trying to implement a simple Grid  using rowlist with a poster image and an item title below each image.  When item is selected , only the image should be focused and not the text. Exactly like what was possible in the old roGridscreen. It just does not seem possible.  I am  placing a label setting the translation so that it appears below the image. The text appears fine as long as there is no focus. As soon as a row is focused, the text line gets erased. The only option seems to increase the height of the rowitem so that it includes the text label as well. But on focus the selection box covers the text as well and looks bad. We are migrating a template app to scenegraph and I am having a hard time explaining why such a simple option which was already there in template is no longer possible. Is there any solution?
0 Kudos
parag
Visitor

Was this resolved? I am able to translate the label, but it only shows briefly when I change focus from one row to another and then disappears. Any ideas?
0 Kudos