Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
transgaming
Reel Rookie

Running the Marmalade Application from Roku Private Channel

Hi,
We try to deploy various Marmalade applications, including the examples from Marmalade SDK, on Roku Private channel without success. The channel is created, but when the application icon is selected, it immediately returns to the Home screen.
This document provides the detail guide what was done during this process.
What is the reason of this behavior?
Thanks,
Transgaming
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Running the Marmalade Application from Roku Private Chan

I just answered this at https://answers.madewithmarmalade.com/questions/37358/
But indeed it's more of Roku than Marmalade concern, so let's continue here.
0 Kudos
transgaming
Reel Rookie

Hi EnTerr,
Thanks for your feedback.
I copied here your response and provide the answer for each one:
1. Have you been able to "side-load" the app to the Roku player - and does it work that way? You can (and you should) do that directly from the Hub, without creating a private channel - just type the credentials under Config / Roku / Signing - the Roku box IP, user "rokudev" and the password you chose when enabling developer mode on the box.
> Yes, all tested applications are working properly in the "side-load" mode.

2. Has the Roku player been provisioned for Marmalade development in the first place? That has to be done by RokuCo dev.support on their side and it take a while for the box to even allow starting Marmalade binaries (or app just exits on attempt to start).
> Yes, this was done.

3. Have you learnt about the developer console, telnet to port 8085 of Roku box? If not, read in their docs.
> We used telnet connection for receiving debug output from the device. In this case the device doesn't provide any debug output.

Thanks,
Transgaming
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Great - you have gone past the major hurdles already.
"transgaming" wrote:
3. Have you learnt about the developer console, telnet to port 8085 of Roku box? If not, read in their docs.
> We used telnet connection for receiving debug output from the device. In this case the device doesn't provide any debug output.
Makes sense. You won't see console output for a non-sideloaded app.
Your private channel is failing to launch indeed but there is no way to know why. Because... Roku.

Looking closely at your detailed steps listed, why are you doing III and IIII ? What i do when ready to publish is take the BIN file (not the ZIP) and send it to Roku dev.support for manual signature (or "blessing" as i like to put it) - and whatever i get back is the sanctified PKG i can upload in your step VI.
0 Kudos
transgaming
Reel Rookie

Hi EnTerr,
Thanks for your response.
Can you please explain how you post your BIN file to the Roku dev.support?
Thanks,
Transgaming
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"transgaming" wrote:
Can you please explain how you post your BIN file to the Roku dev.support?

I don't know what your setup with RokuCo is, do you have account manager assigned?

You said somebody enabled your Roku player(s) for Marmalade development? I presume you were in touch with a Roku support engineer over that (and there was some paperwork/agreement first if i recollect) - email them again and they should give you instructions now, if they haven't before.
0 Kudos