Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Re: Roku channel stream has one two many clicks

also, do the channel icons have to be in png? jpg is smaller sizes. plus do we need all those brs files? my channel is too big in size for Roku 1's so I would like to delete the extra ones or do they make it compatible with the older roku's?
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

You're still talking about 2mb size limit? It doesn't apply any more, at all. Old Rokus are no longer supported by the company - new channels aren't available for them at all, regardless of size, so you can completely ignore them.
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

yeah, the size is 2.5 mb now. Not sure why zipping it makes it bigger because the size of the raw files are only 1.2 mb
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Roku channel stream has 1 too many clicks

I've never seen that happen, I'm skeptical
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

is it easy to have the channel look at a pastbin file/playlist instead of having the direct streams (m3u8) in the code so that if I need to change a stream link right away I don't have to package an update and wait for Roku to publish the update to the channel, I can just change the link in my pastbin file on the fly and be done with it?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"matrixebiz" wrote:
is it easy?

Obviously not, or you would have done it already. If you can be more specific about why it's not working, it will be easier to help you.
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Unfortunately I have no idea on what to change in the code to have the channel pull my channels from a pastbin link instead of the current XML file.
So what I mean is, is it easy for you 🙂 to guide me how to do it and what to change or is it hard and I will need to re-write the whole channel instead of just changing a few pointers in the current Main.brs file. So for me, it is currently Hard since I would not know where to start but if is just a matter of showing me where to change a few pointers, then it will be easy for me from then on 🙂
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Change "pkg:/blahblahblah" to "http://pastebin/raw/blahblahblah" or whatever the url is for your xml files, images, etc.
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

In my Main.brs I have;
' Parse the top-level Xml file, passing the resultant hierarchical content list to the UI display function
uiDisplay (parseXmlDocument ("pkg:/xml/links.xml"))

So when I change it to;

' Parse the top-level Xml file, passing the resultant hierarchical content list to the UI display function
uiDisplay (parseXmlDocument ("http://pastebin.com/raw/Wg5r2766"))

Says unable to to parse xml because the pastbin site/file is not an xml it is a playlist of m3u8 links
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Does it work when you use: uiDisplay (parseXmlDocument ("pkg:/xml/links.xml")) ?
0 Kudos