Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pyelagin

Roku app quits with no errors

Hi Everyone,

I have strange problem... My Roku app I've created for my client Healthcasts.com intermittently quits without any errors or crush report... Problem seem to be at its worst on Roku 2 or when network is slow... But it does not happen all the time... 1 out of 5 tests...

Anyone had that issue before?

Thank you,

Peter
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Roku app quits with no errors

I would just generally suggest you adding more diagnostic feedback to various sections of your code, various stages in functions, so that you sort of get a running tally of how things are working, then when it crashes you can at least try to see what the latest things were. Rinse, repeat. Hopefully that approach can help.
0 Kudos
pyelagin

Thank you, Komag... I'm going to post some out put before crash happens later... This thing is driving me batty...
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The most common cause of this problem in the past has been that the app has closed all its screens.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"pyelagin" wrote:
I have strange problem... My Roku app I've created for my client Healthcasts.com intermittently quits without any errors or crush report... Problem seem to be at its worst on Roku 2 or when network is slow... But it does not happen all the time... 1 out of 5 tests...

Are you talking about the published channel "Healthcasts" - or a "side-loaded" version of it (i.e. developer mode)? If the former - mind you: no diagnostics are shown in the telnet console, by design
0 Kudos
pyelagin

Line of code that fixed the problem 🙂

t = CreateObject("roImageCanvas")

dsp_AdPI(o) 'custom screen

t.Clear()

Thanks everyone for prompt replies...
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
The most common cause of this problem in the past has been that the app has closed all its screens.

Hm, you know what will be neat?

If some diagnostic gets logged to console in such event. Something like "Warning: screen stack empty, exiting channel."
I have seen such complaint over and over many times, so an ounce of diagnostic here is worth a pound of troubleshooting.
Is it too hard to do?
0 Kudos
pyelagin

yea I agree... Just something to let u know what's happening... it's a simple thing but takes a while to get ur head around it...
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Yes, after reading this post yesterday I took a look to see if we can add a message for this case. I'll file an enhancement request to do this.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

muchas gracias!
0 Kudos