Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cocotower
Roku Guru

Roku app for Windows

I'm concerned now that PC hackers can possibly see our BrightScript code?  Can someone tell me how the PC-based app handles security of our channels?  For example, when the app fetches a feed file or does any other Get operation, would the returned data be encrypted on the PC as a file or does it get read into memory only?  Think of all the channels that would have their cloud URLs exposed costing them thousands or millions if they ever leaked to a database of known media links.  Even if the buckets are private a lot of good this does if the channel code could be seen.  I was perfectly happy when Roku was only a box or embedded in a TV but this Windows app idea has me on edge.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Roku app for Windows

It's not going to run Roku apps on a windows box, 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/roku/9wzdncrdlm3t

The Roku app for Windows allows Roku users to control their Roku player over their home network. 

- Search for movies, shows, actors, or directors and easily launch the content on your Roku player or TV. Search is available today with the Roku Streaming Stick (HDMI version), Roku 3, Roku TVs, and will be available on additional Roku players at a later date. - Browse, add, and rate Channels from more than 1,800 Roku Channels offered in the Roku Channel Store. - Quickly launch your favorite Roku Channels - Name and switch between multiple Roku players and TVs - Enjoy your laptop or tablet photos and music on your Roku player or TV (Supported on Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku LT, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku TV, and Roku Streaming Stick only) THIS APP REQUIRES A ROKU PLAYER

aspiring
cocotower
Roku Guru

Well it sure looks like the same GUI to me which is why I thought it's Roku running under Windows.  However, I'm not one of those who thinks Roku is just another "app" as I'm aware of what it is which is why I was shocked at just the idea of it running under Windows.

0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

For developers it might be kind of nice, but yeah it's not gonna happen any time soon!

aspiring
0 Kudos