Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zcode
Visitor

Roku Time frame before it Goes out from the Market

Hi,

Since I start playing with this device, i see a lot of stuff changing from open to Close, harder Agreements etc.....

isn't this supposed to be open Box, or it was @ the beginning only to attract users?

I was shocked by seeing the news from roku and exclusive channel to Dishworld IPTV which sucks and very expensive in there programming.

Limiting customers, developer to pre-aproval? isn't this behavior a monopoly?

When or how long does it take to go for a class action law suite Aginst Roku Company for there last decision?

Anyway, i was Thinking of flipping all my Future plans to Google TV Boxes, at least people can get 1000 times more Contents with Limits and YOUTUBE 🙂

Good Luck for Roku.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
kc8pql
Visitor

Re: Roku Time frame before it Goes out from the Market

Roku is a privately held company free to run their business any way they want. I suspect this change is for legal and channel quality control reasons.
DishWorld is probably in a much better position to assure that developers have licensing to use their content and provide reliable, quality streams and customer service.
That's my take anyway.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Is there a real question in there somewhere? Good luck to you too.
0 Kudos
DaBronx
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
Is there a real question in there somewhere? Good luck to you too.

+1
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

"zcode" wrote:
Hi,

Since I start playing with this device, i see a lot of stuff changing from open to Close, harder Agreements etc.....

isn't this supposed to be open Box, or it was @ the beginning only to attract users?

I was shocked by seeing the news from roku and exclusive channel to Dishworld IPTV which sucks and very expensive in there programming.

Limiting customers, developer to pre-aproval? isn't this behavior a monopoly?

When or how long does it take to go for a class action law suite Aginst Roku Company for there last decision?

Anyway, i was Thinking of flipping all my Future plans to Google TV Boxes, at least people can get 1000 times more Contents with Limits and YOUTUBE 🙂

Good Luck for Roku.

No it isn't a monopoly because there are other devices in the market space which provide other options for foreign language content. I don't see any grounds for a class action law suit and would hope to not see one. Roku is making decisions they feel are the best for their business, if that does not line up with what is best for your business that is unfortunate, but the agreements don't provide us (developers/users) any promise against these types of changes.
0 Kudos
zcode
Visitor

HI,
i heard that ipworldtv , in the process to take Roku to Court.

Too bad , i loved this Box and hope it will continue to stay open otherwise all developers will opt-out.
0 Kudos

"zcode" wrote:
HI,

Too bad , i loved this Box and hope it will continue to stay open otherwise all developers will opt-out.

It can't continue to stay open because it is already heavily regulated and you don't know what will come next. All those service providers with tens of thousands subscribers should tell their subscribers to return the box to wherever they bought it at and demand a full refund. Let dishnetwork compensate roku for those boxes. Moreover, all those people should get boxee box with OTA antenna and watch all the local content for free off the air along with their ethnic service provider. That would be an adequate response to both roku and dishnetwork.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

"zcode" wrote:
HI,

Where did you hear this?
IPWorldTV says they have 300 channels on offer, which is quite a bit more than DishWorld. But I guess IPWorldTV didn't pay Roku for exclusivity so it doesn't matter how many channels or how much experience they have.
0 Kudos