Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neoRiley
Visitor

Roku TV issues

Roku TV = Insignia 24" TV with Roku built in running 7.6 (updated to latest OS as soon as I fired it up)

First issue:  Can someone confirm the issue (I finally resolved, I think) where if you use a Rectangle object and don't assign a color to it's color property, that it sets the default to white and the size seems to change to whatever the available area there is?  When I finally forced the Rect to use 0x00000000 as the color, all was good again on the Roku TV.  Otherwise, big white rects everywhere.

Second issue:  I created a Rectangle and sized it to match the viewable area of the screen.  When I do this on the Roku TV, it seems to set the opacity to 0.5 on this rect (despite the fact that it prints out the opacity to be 1.0).  If I reduce the size of this Rectangle to say 500x500, it doesn't change the opacity.

Can anyone explain the insanity??

On express/premiere, our channel worked flawlessly.  Put on any TV with Roku built in and it does the above.

Any information/tips and tricks concerning dealing with Roku TV platform is MUCH appreciated

Thanks - John
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
neoRiley
Visitor

Re: Roku TV issues

I just figured out the white issue:  If you set a rectangle's color to 0xFFFFFFFF, it'll bleed off the edge of the screen from it's top/left location.  If you set it to any other color (i.e.: 0xEEEEEEFF), the Rect does not resize and behaves normally.

Again, this is on a TV with Roku built in running 7.6.  On express/premiere this was not a problem.
0 Kudos
neoRiley
Visitor

Issue #2 solved:  The Roku TV was doing "Dynamic Contrast" - when the Rect area was a big black box covering the entire screen, the tv thought it needed to reduce the lighting and it made it appear as though it was changing the opacity.  

Not a fan of the Dynamic Contrast "feature" 🙂
0 Kudos
neoRiley
Visitor

Issue #1 with the white box issue continued...

So I ported my "fix" over to a new project since I was seeing the same issue now that I have a Roku TV to test with.  The fix of setting 0xFFFFFFFF to 0xFFFFFEFF (barely off white), worked on a few of the rectangles, except for the main view area.

After spending time trying to find a common reproducible situation, I change the opacity to see what might be happening behind the view and that change ended up being another fix.

So, I set the view's opacity to 0.999 and it fixed the white box issue ... again.

To sum up:  
Project A was completely fixed by simply catching any Rectangle trying to use 0xFFFFFFFF as it's color.
Project B was fixed by using the fix for A as well as setting the opacity of any other rectangle with the problem to 0.999

I feel like I need to shower now.  

At this point, there's definitely a bug in the Roku TV OS and how it handles rectangle's color/opacity.   The only difference between the 2 apps is maybe the background color of the 1 scene.  In "A", it's 0x000000FF (black) and in "B", it's 0x212121FF (dark gray).  I've tried setting both scene backgrounds to black, but that didn't change the fact that I had to change the opacity in B for it to not show a huge white rectangle.

Still confused on what the real reproducible steps are, but maybe someone else has some insight as to why and how to work around it better than how I've described
0 Kudos
neoRiley
Visitor

One last update on the bug with Rectangle objects on Roku TV:

There is definitely a nasty/weird bug with the Rectangle object.  In project "B", I was not able to narrow down why I had to set a couple of the Rectangles opacity to 0.999 for the white oversized rects to go away - literally had to give up the chase because of time.

My fix was to refactor my sub class to use Group as the base object instead of Rectangle.  To draw a simple colored rect, I use a poster object with a 1x1 white png file and color it with the blendColor property of the poster object (set loadDisplayMode to "scaleToFill").  Problem solved.
0 Kudos