Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgerrish
Visitor

Roku Network Bandwidth Detection

What does the box do to determine the network speed? I get very different results on the debugging menu every time a stream is started. We have 300 mbps out of this building, and it sometimes tells me I have .5 mbps.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
cgerrish
Visitor

Re: Roku Network Bandwidth Detection

BTW, I am using a live HLS stream with 3 different bandwidths from a wowza server to test the bandwidth selection.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The Roku box is measuring the throughput of the download from your server.... This is the bandwidth number the debugging menu is reporting.

So, even if your local network is 100mbps, if the Wowza server you are connecting to can only deliver .5 mbps to your connection we will report the .5 mbps number.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
cgerrish
Visitor

Ok thanks, its a server on the amazon cloud so it has a lot more than .5 mbps. I am going to take it home and test. Maybe it is getting a little confused with the corporate network, and it will work better on a home network.
0 Kudos