Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Roku Developer Survey 2016 available - please fill out!

Guys, let's help the RokuCo get a clue on developers' background, wishes and desires!

An official (by the RokuCo e-Vangelists) survey was published last week. While it was not publicized here or on the dev.blog, i noticed it on Twitter, amidst humdrum marketing. 
Here is teh link:

https://rokudevelopers.typeform.com/to/xZ6GRR

Go and get your voice heard, it's mere 30 questions! 
(the UI of typeform.com is somewhat sucky, more-style-than-substance - but can live through its "look Ma, i can gray out text and be annoying in HTML")
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Developer Survey 2016 available - please fill out!

Make sure not to miss the last two free-form questions, about the worst things/what needs fixing badly - as well as suggestions for the future.

E.g. I personally took the opportunity to complain about two worst (IMNSHO) things about Co's dev.relations people:

1. That as rule of thumb they don't reply to emails send to developer at roku.com group (run and hide much?)

2. That they have stopped manning this forum - by neither answering questions nor keeping eye for bug reports (plausible deniability?)

And my two biggest complaints about RokuCo at large were:

1. The unmitigated disaster that Roku Scene Graph is (specifically the multithreading and the abomination that the forceful mating between Brightscript and XML has produced - not the individual components themselves)

2. The preposterous 4 week hiatus that the Channel Store people have granted themselves for Christmas (WTF? So every other app store needs a week tops - but the Co takes a good month off... have they won the streaming wars while i was asleep?) 
0 Kudos
adamkaz1
Visitor

The most important thing that Roku is missing a bug tracker. Bonus if it is a public bug tracker. I got excited when the documentation moved to Github (sort of), but I haven't seen Roku doing anything with the issues yet....  😞
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"adamkaz1" wrote:
The most important thing that Roku is missing a bug tracker. Bonus if it is a public bug tracker. I got excited when the documentation moved to Github (sort of), but I haven't seen Roku doing anything with the issues yet....  😞

They of course have internal bug tracker - what they lack is the discipline to reply with the issue# either on the forum or in email - so that later it can be used as a token when inquiring about the status. It's not a security concern, just like when calling credit card re disputing a charge, they give you opaque case# (does not mean you can read their notes).

And as you have noticed, there is desire/intent for a public tracker

What remains to do is the simplest, least technological but most human(e) part - tend to the tracker. Just like replying to emails, it's trivial to do but someone has to move their asset and regularly "mow the lawn".
0 Kudos