Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Roku_Ads showing "HDCP unauthorised" purple screen

When trying to use Roku_Ads library (RAF), i am seeing purple screen with a white "HDCP unauthorised. Content disabled." in the middle when playing video ad. The audio is there, just not the video.

This is new development to me, before it was working.
No change in my code.
Same happens in another channel ("Bubble Wrap" as reference).
Roku3 7.0.9044 wired into a RokuTV (how much more compatible can one get?).
Changing display resolution (1080 <-> 720) apparently not enough to fix it.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Roku_Ads showing "HDCP unauthorised" purple screen

Here is the rub - it clearly shows the "Ad 1 of 1" text, so the HDCP screen does not come from the TV - rather the issue is in the Roku3 decoder (library?) that has decided to cockblock the video. Berry, berry interesting!
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

I'm going to throw this out there - feel free to hit me. Have you tried unplugging and replugging cables? I get the same behavior occasionally from my Roku3 when watching Netflix - I use an HDMI switcher and sometimes it messes up the handshake between the TV and Roku.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"adamkaz" wrote:
I'm going to throw this out there - feel free to hit me. Have you tried unplugging and replugging cables? I get the same behavior occasionally from my Roku3 when watching Netflix - I use an HDMI switcher and sometimes it messes up the handshake between the TV and Roku.

Same here, and only with my Roku 3, interestingly enough. Usually a reboot or restarting the HDMI switch fixes it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Well, if somebody from Roku suggested rebooting as a "solution" (luckily they did not), a beating would be in order. After all, how much more compatible can i get than using only Roku products? Roku box wired into a Roku TV. The two should be able to figure out HDMI switching between themselves. Heck, for all i care they could do Miracast between each other and eschew HDMI altogether!

On further test - once wedged into the purple screen, YouTube and Netflix video was not working either. Restart resolved it, for now. Btw, did you notice the British accent in the text?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Well, if somebody from Roku suggested rebooting as a "solution" (luckily they did not), a beating would be in order. After all, how much more compatible can i get than using only Roku products? Roku box wired into a Roku TV. The two should be able to figure out HDMI switching between themselves. Heck, for all i care they could do Miracast between each other and eschew HDMI altogether!

Agreed. In my case, I was pretty certain it was the HDMI switch that failed the handshake, but if you're wired directly to the TV, that's clearly not the case for you.
"EnTerr" wrote:
On further test - once wedged into the purple screen, YouTube and Netflix video was not working either. Restart resolved it, for now. Btw, did you notice the British accent in the text?

I did.. suppose it could be Canadian, too.. neither one seems to like Zs, nor do they know how to pronounce the letter.. 😛 (I can say that, because my wife is British.. just not anywhere within earshot)
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
Agreed. In my case, I was pretty certain it was the HDMI switch that failed the handshake, but if you're wired directly to the TV, that's clearly not the case for you.
Consider your switch acquitted.

.. suppose it could be Canadian, too.. neither one seems to like Zs, nor do they know how to pronounce the letter.. 😛 (I can say that, because my wife is British.. just not anywhere within earshot)
I contemplated Indish (Indian English) too but no. Seems for this very word most everyone uses the Z variety - except UK:

Google> unauthorised site:.ca
About 121,000 results
Google> unauthorized site:.ca
About 1,440,000 results

Google> unauthorised site:.uk
About 5,200,000 results
Google> unauthorized site:.uk
About 870,000 results
0 Kudos
RMalloy001
Visitor

Hello. I too had this problem occasionally on my ROKU 3 player and was resolved by using a new, good quality HDMI cable (non-dollar store variety). It has happened once since and by powering off the player (by remote vs. unplugging), disconnecting HDMI cable at player then plugging in again, worked for me. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I don't think you have solved the problem 8-)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Indeed.
While bad HDMI cable/connector may cause HDCP issues, the opposite is not true: HDCP fail does not imply bad cable necessarily.
In my case "preponderance of evidence" points at Roku^.

PS. probably should have mentioned rOS versions, for posterity at least: 4200 @ 7.0.9044 (12/22), 5200 @ 7.0.9051 (1/19). Something extra i noticed today browsing Channel Store on the box (not video) - every few seconds screen will flicker to black for a second, with audio sputter. It seemed as if it was re-negotiating the HDMI. Switching TV to another input and going back seems to fixed that.

(^) The Roku 3 player. Or the Roku TV. My money is on the standalone box but what do i care - both "source" and "sink" are Rokus.
0 Kudos