Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Roku API hooks to "Enable selecting all resolutions"?

I'll shake that tree, though no guarantee of success.
Thank you for having described well your use cases. 
Other people with the same need, please post here explaining why.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think it's a nice feature for developers. You can do most of your development for SD displays using an HD display by setting the Display Type to 4:3. Then you only have to do a final check using an actual SDTV to make sure everything is ok. It may be less of an issue these days since there appears to be more and more autoscaling provided by the firmware, but for game development I'm not sure how much that applies or if specifically using two coordinate systems doesn't provide better results. I'll know more once I start converting my image canvas stuff to roScreen (assuming that doesn't go away).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
greenbunny

As a viewer, I would like that capability too, since I enjoy seeing old 4:3 movies on an old 4:3 TV without the black, empty sides of a 16:9 monitor.  Also, some 16:9 monitors caution against watching a lot of 4:3 with black left/right borders because of possible burn-in issues.  Simply piping 16:9 into an old 4:3 monitor causes people to look squished, thin, and unnatural.  Please provide an output setting for 4:3 monitors.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

This feature would be useful if only to test Roku certification for SD mode which is required, on a device that doesn't currently have it as an option.
0 Kudos
tmat1075
Visitor

I got rejected from certification because of SD positioning issues... and I have no idea how to fix them. I've got an office full of tvs and monitors, and none of them do 480.
Being able to force the resolution would be perfect.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Anybody else missing the "Enable selecting all resolutions"?
Speak now or forever hold your peace, for the fate of this feature hangs in the balance.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I don't think that is fair -- is there a specific reason you can use to justify removal of the feature?  Without it, developers will need to buy an SD-capable roku unit and an SD TV, so I suppose generating more money for Roku off the backs of developers is a good reason?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I miss it and would like to see its return especially since I have a slew of channels I'm going to have to update to the dreaded roSG in the near future. Unless Roku is planning on abandoning SDTVs, as destruk said, what is the reason for its removal?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I think it's a useful feature and would like to see it, but it's not high priority for me.
0 Kudos
gracej2
Visitor

I didn't find out that this option no longer existed until after I bought my new Roku Express. I am using the HDMI to Composite adapter and found out about the secret menu but was very disappointed to find that the option was not there. I would definately be in favor of restoring it.
0 Kudos