Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Respectfully, WTH are the "Developer Tools"? [solved]

So i know there are a few "developer tools" web pages by RokuCo, which is a somewhat grandiose naming for what amounts to 3 web pages. Like say "Roku Remote Tool" - of whose existence i only know because i participated earlier in beta testing that (while musing why did the Co feel compelled to re-invent the circa 2010 wheel http://remoku.tv/ by gonzotek ).

So i remember there was some "stream tester" tool that i want to use tonight to check this question. Hmm, so where do i find that - i wonder. And i start searching. Supposedly they are not in beta anymore but are Shirley well-hidden from human eye!

• Perhaps they are accessible from the http://developer.roku.com portal? ... Nope. (For the newbies - good luck even finding where the portal entrance is on that page!)

• Maybe mentioned in the SDK docs? ... Not really.

• I start cringing but persevere - how about the dev.blog? Not the right place but still... no, can't find it there.

• Oh i know - maybe the tools were hosted by RokuDev on GitHub? Très chic, you know - like 2048. Hmm. The github.com/rokudev list is a jumble and ... no cigar.

Oh <censor> it, i am going rogue! I go to the dev.beta centercode, and find a bug that mentions the URL to said web "Roku Remote". It is http://devtools.web.roku.com/RokuRemote . I punch "site:devtools.web.roku.com" in Google and aha! - one of the 3 results - there it is, the best-kept Roku secret "Stream/RAF Tester Tool"!

But wait - there is more!
Our suffering is not over. I put the IP, the URL, the format press "Go" and... nothing!
And then i remember... there was some private channel that had to be installed for this to work? Well, where is it - why are you not installing it (there is an ECP command for that) or telling me what to do, you tool of a tool??

This is preposterous!
I knew of this tool existence and it took me long time and all my smarts to even find it. I have vague memories of trying it before and yet can't make it work now. Now riddle me this: if i (who am experienced with Roku shenanigans) fail epically to make this work, how is Regular Joe Developer supposed to discover and use these "Tools"?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Respectfully, WTH are the "Developer Tools"?

Subsequently, this was addressed

I'd also like to thank @AdamKaz1 - for the assistance over PM!

Oddly enough, the private channels that are required for the "Stream Tester" and "Deep Linking Tester" are using random bundle-access tokens (ZJMQ6D5 and KX3UPK respectively, as of now) instead of human-readable "vanity codes" (like e.g. "StreamTester" and "LinkTester") - which if remember guarantees that the next time a new bundle version is uploaded, the codes will change and the blog post links will stop working...
0 Kudos