Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Resolved: Roku failing to install channel

I published a build of a private (uncertified) channel and trying to get it installed on a Roku.  When I do system update, it says it's adding the channel, but then the channel is not here.  Immediately I can try system update and again it says it's adding the same channel. Over and over system update tells me it is adding this channel, but, it's not actually on the device.  What could be wrong that's causing this?
tyvmia

Update: I noticed that the package was built including my .git folder so I rebuilt it without that and not sure if that was the cause, but the problem is now resolved.
thanks everyone 😄
aspiring
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Resolved: Roku failing to install channel

Two things re the problematic build (w/.git):
- were you able to side-load the ZIP of said build and was that working w/o errors and
- does the "static checker" (or whatever the name is) have interesting complaints about it?
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

sideloaded with no problems noticed. Channel loaded up and packaged from there.
Re Static Analyzer, the one that failed I didn't wait long enough to see the response.

think I saw a slight difference during the "adding channel" process, where it would flash on the one that was failing to install.  If it matters, was trying to install onto Roku 3 and update onto Roku Express.  Both were saying they were happening but then the channel was not installed / updated.

one other note, in addition to the .git folder was the .gitignore file which I left out of the successful package.
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Update: I put the "bad" package on a different private channel and let the Static Analyzer run: 0 Errors, 0 Warnings
I added this new channel to my account and had the same result. system update repeatedly tries to add the channel yet it does not appear on the Roku.
I noticed the bad package is 1.6MB whereas the good one is 234KB
Let me know if I need to try creating a MWE or if you're able to reproduce it?
thanks and kind regards
aspiring
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"joetesta" wrote:
Let me know if I need to try creating a MWE or if you're able to reproduce it?

PM me link to the bundle that causes issues, so i can test it.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

ok I've just tried sending you a PM.  Not sure what is the difference between messages in the Sent folder vs Outbox?  The one I sent you is one of the few sitting in Outbox...
aspiring
0 Kudos