Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Remote for Mac OS X Dashboard

After a bit of hobby programming and playing with the External Interfaces doc in the SDK, I have put a ROKU remote online at https://sourceforge.net/projects/roku-dashboard/ . This remote isn't quite as developed as the more popular iPhone app, but has a number of nice features and is on a new platform. Features include:

• Installation on Dashboard in Mac OS 10.4.3 or higher
  • User input IP with indicator (Red for invalid IP, Orange for a Valid IP that doesn't respond as a ROKU, Green for Valid Roku)
  • Support for most commands available in the SDK
  • Keyboard support for commands (arrows, plus those identified on the back of the widget)
  • Keyboard mode where typing is sent directly to the ROKU for input screens

Some notes:

• Certainly beta software, if anyone has any ideas they'd like feel free to post
  • Developed using Apple's Dashcode software, some components are generated.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Remote for Mac OS X Dashboard

Awesome! I'll definitely use this.

Feature request:
Add the ability to enter in multiple Roku IPs for the same remote, and the option to switch between them.

Bug:
When I click the right arrow once, it will automatically keep going right forever.

Nice work so far. Keep us updated with development progress.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@evilmax17 - Thanks, fixed the bug and updated a new version. Thats a good idea, something to play with on my commute. Now if only I could figure out a good way to do discovery in dashboard...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Bump for a great app. I use it all the time!
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I seem to be having the same stick right arrow problem. I also when I click on "okay" my roku makes the "invalid" sound instead of actually selecting the item that I am on.

I also would like to see the ability to support multiple Roku devices.

Thanks for all your work on this.... it's something I have been wanting for quite some time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Last visited:
Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry for abruptly disappearing a few years ago.

I got a mac in front of me after a pretty long hiatus. I just pushed a new version of the remote it fixes:

- Better async behavior (particularly when entering an IP)
- Fixed any broken buttons (right-arrow + enter changed behavior)
- Automatically selects the IP when you goto the back

One change I could go either way on, but it matches the way I use it:
- The "enter" key on the keyboard behaves differently in text mode vs command mode. In text mode, it accepts a text input. In command, more it presses a selection. I find the API a little widgety for this. It works really well if you go into text mode to enter data and remember to leave it once you've finished (which is how I use it). Maybe I'll add an option..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Can you add a feature to scan the network for my ROKUs. I have two, both usually hooked up by wifi to my network. My Mac is plugged into the router by ethernet.

It's a PITA to have to manually enter the IP address.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sure I can look into that. When I looked at it a few years ago.. I had some trouble with the security limits that are imposed by the dashboard, but it might be a more standard procedure now.

One other option might be to have multiple IP boxes on the config, and then have a config option to choose which one you'd prefer to use.
0 Kudos