Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

REP: ifAssociativeArray.Values()

I propose enhancement to AAs - addition of a method .values(), which returns array of all dictionary values, in the matching order to .keys().

In other words, .values() is the counterpart of .keys() - one returns the keys ready to be enumerated, the other returns the values, in the same order. This will allow to do a much faster (>100x) enumeration over the dictionary. Here is a quick simulation: 
d = {}: for i = 1 to 100000: d[i.toStr()] = i: next   'whip us a dictionary'
keys = d.keys()
values = []: for each key in d.keys(): values.push(d[key]): next 'faking .values() here, but note this takes _long_ time'
ti = createObject("roTimeSpan")
ti.mark(): for i = 0 to d.count()-1: key = keys[i]: value = values[i]: next: ? ti.totalMilliSeconds()
'>>> 144  - using array indexing'  
ti.mark(): values.reset(): for each key in keys: value = values.next(): next: ? ti.totalMilliSeconds()
'>>> 107  - using foreach + ifEnum'
ti.mark(): for each key in keys: value = d[key]: next: ? ti.totalMilliSeconds()
'>>> 54330 - whoa, that _is_ slow'

On a side note, here is a bonus idea of extending foreach, so it can do multiple enumerations in parallel, e.g. the above shrinks to:
inverted = {}
for each key in d.keys(), value in d.values():
   inverted[value] = key  'correct only for a map that is a bijection'
next
0 Kudos