Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veera_Krithu
Channel Surfer

RAF Ad Pause / Play Feature

We have used RAF for video ads but not able to pause/play the ad. Pressing pause/play button doesn't have any effect while the ad is playing. I have read, it is possible to pause the ad out of the box but not sure why this not happening in our case. Any specific settings/handling should be done in order to achieve this ad pause/play feature with an indicator. Please advice.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: RAF Ad Pause / Play Feature

There shouldn't be anything you have to do.  What version of the RAF library do you have (adIface.getLibVersion()) and what version of firmware do you have?  I can pause ads with version 2.1231 of the library and v9.2 of the firmware.  I think there's even tracking events that can be fired when paused/resumed.  There isn't any kind of indicator like a progress bar - the video just gets paused.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Veera_Krithu
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response @renojim. The RAF version we use is 2.1231 and firmware v9.2.0. Tried to track the event via setTrackingCallback during ad play but no luck, pressing pause/play doesn't trigger any event other than ad pod start, complete, etc.

0 Kudos
renojim

I have seen live streams on the Roku Channel that can't be paused (which is annoying) and sure enough the ads can't be paused either, but I don't know how the ads are integrated into the stream.  @RokuNB is the RAF expert.

0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

are you using raf.showAds() - or is this case of SSAI? 

if the first, you must be stealing the input focus.

if the second, not letting RAF handle the events first

0 Kudos
Veera_Krithu
Channel Surfer

@RokuNB We are using raf.showAds(). I tried to set a focus for RAF task via m.top.setFocus(true) in RAF task init function but no luck. Any idea of how to bring back the input focus in this case?

0 Kudos
Veera_Krithu
Channel Surfer

@RokuNB Just to follow up on the previous post, any idea on how to bring back the focus in case of RAF.showAds()?. I tried setting the focus = true to RAF task but that doesn't help.

0 Kudos
Veera_Krithu
Channel Surfer

Finally able to find the root cause and fix the ad pause issue. Enabled non-interactive mode (adIface.enableNonInteractiveMode(true)) for ad interface that prevented from interacting the ad play like a pause. Removing enableNonInteractiveMode enabled the ad pause feature. This solution may be useful for someone having a similar issue.

0 Kudos
renojim

Thanks for letting us know!

0 Kudos