Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the stats I'm seeing in our 'purchase' queue

Hi all,
Is there anyone I can talk to about the numbers I'm seeing in our daily purchases stats? Is the a billing/ordering developer's phone line?
I don't understand why some sub rates come in at the appropriate amount of money and others are wildly fluctuating - all in the downwards direction. We have a pay channel that's $1.99/month. I only see a few of those. Most range from $1.something to $0.13! No reason for this and I don't think we're getting a wild amount of chargebacks that would cause the amount to fluctuate downwards so...? Who can I talk to about this. We've got 5 weeks of stats, we're new and I want to figure this out. Thanks for any help available.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Questions about the stats I'm seeing in our 'purchase' q

Oh. Are the 'Joins' prorated according to the clients monthly billing date? Is that why I see partial payments?
0 Kudos
RokuVince
Visitor

Yes, you are seeing amounts less than your purchase price because subscription purchases are pro-rated when the customer first subscribes. Each customer has a monthly "bill date". When they make a purchase they are charged a pro-rated amount to their bill date and on their bill date it will renew for the entire amount. This way all of a customers subscriptions renew on the same day and on one invoice.
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"RokuVince" wrote:
Yes, you are seeing amounts less than your purchase price because subscription purchases are pro-rated when the customer first subscribes. Each customer has a monthly "bill date". When they make a purchase they are charged a pro-rated amount to their bill date and on their bill date it will renew for the entire amount. This way all of a customers subscriptions renew on the same day and on one invoice.

I've got to say that this is pretty unworkable.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"SolveLLC" wrote:

In what way? You get the exact same amount in the end, except it all comes at one time each month.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
"SolveLLC" wrote:

In what way? You get the exact same amount in the end, except it all comes at one time each month.

No you don't. You get the amount from the date of purchase to their next billing date. A cancellation may or may not happen during that time.
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"SolveLLC" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:
"SolveLLC" wrote:

No you don't. You get the amount from the date of purchase to their next billing date. A cancellation may or may not happen during that time.
Edit: I know why they do this...to save on credit card/paypal transaction fees, but the way it's set up now, a user can "try out" a channel for a day or two and only "pay" a few cents (pay is in quotes because anything less than $X Paypal won't accept as a transaction, so it's free to the customer).
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

Now I can suddenly see the mad rush to the sporting channels to try them out on the one game they really want to see.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"SolveLLC" wrote:
"SolveLLC" wrote:

Edit: I know why they do this...to save on credit card/paypal transaction fees, but the way it's set up now, a user can "try out" a channel for a day or two and only "pay" a few cents (pay is in quotes because anything less than $X Paypal won't accept as a transaction, so it's free to the customer).

Ah, I see the issue now. I wasn't considering refunds and an event based service.

Maybe the best solution is a better terms of service presented to and enforced for end user, where they can get a refund only in 10 day (1/3 month) intervals, with a minimum of 1/3 month for any subscription based service always charged? That would ensure that at least some money went to the provider for services used, and the temptation to sign up and immediately request a refund after using it for a short period (in a fraudulent manner, as suggested by tensen) is curtailed.

It does require some work from Roku, but if they really want the channel billing system to be usable, I agree that there needs to be protection against people abusing the payment system.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:

Ah, I see the issue now. I wasn't considering refunds and an event based service.

Maybe the best solution is a better terms of service presented to and enforced for end user, where they can get a refund only in 10 day (1/3 month) intervals, with a minimum of 1/3 month for any subscription based service always charged? That would ensure that at least some money went to the provider for services used, and the temptation to sign up and immediately request a refund after using it for a short period (in a fraudulent manner, as suggested by tensen) is curtailed.

It does require some work from Roku, but if they really want the channel billing system to be usable, I agree that there needs to be protection against people abusing the payment system.

It's not a refund, there are no refunds via the Roku payment system. The problem is say this. The channel is $1.99. The customers bill date is 2 days from now. The customer is charged $.18 (which I don't think that amount is billable via Paypal or CC). The customer watches for a day and a half and then removes the channel. The next month, the customer does the same thing (it's always something less than $1.99 as long as they cancel before the billing date).

I hesitated to even bring this up in a public forum because I don't want to tell people how to cheat, but this will happen to some degree.
0 Kudos