Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Question about subscriber or viewer retention

Current (new) policy is that we are not going to allow channels that do not user our billing system to use the share function going forward in most cases.

This won't prevent you from having the user manually type in their email.

- Joel
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Question about subscriber or viewer retention

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Current (new) policy is that we are not going to allow channels that do not user our billing system to use the share function going forward in most cases.

I believe this is already enforced. Have to be enrolled in Roku billing or the roChannelStore just returns invalid without prompting the user.
"jasilby" wrote:
I am considering adding a Request to Share Information function to my channel and I was wondering if anyone who has this feature saw a drop off in users after implementing on an existing channel. My goal is to request an email address and maybe some basic info. (i.e. name, etc) only for communication purposes and not for purchase purposes. I am concerned that I might lose some users due to the request of their info. Not sure if it's worth implementing or not. Has anyone gone down this road and did you see any drop off in users/subscribers? Appreciate your feedback.

The dialog gives the user the option to say no, so as long as you don't block users that choose not to share, I imagine you'd be fine.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:

I believe this is already enforced. Have to be enrolled in Roku billing or the roChannelStore just returns invalid without prompting the user.

I think what Joel means is that we will not be approving developers for Roku Billing who want to use it only to access the account sharing feature. You have to actually sell something using Roku Billing. There may be exceptions on a case by case basis.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"RokuChris" wrote:
I think what Joel means is that we will not be approving developers for Roku Billing who want to use it only to access the account sharing feature. You have to actually sell something using Roku Billing. There may be exceptions on a case by case basis.

Actually, what I mean is - if your channel does not use Roku billing, and uses this feature, we won't publish the channel in most cases. Approval for Roku Billing is simply based on your filling out the appropriate tax forms.

- Joel
0 Kudos