Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper XML tags and data for ROKU

I have started with the videoplayer example code in from the SDK and I am currently working with the developer at our CDN.

Our CDN provided a web service that would return XML feeds for each folder on our account, however, it would not work with ROKU.

He has customized the web service so that it mimics the XML files given in the TED videoplayer example. However, he is asking for a list of required/recommended tags that ROKU needs, and the proper data that goes with each one. For example, the <quality> tag for ROKU is HD or SD. The developer's first run at creating this custom web service was using "high" or "low" for the "<quality>" tag.

I cannot find information in the SDK documentation on the type of XML feeds that Roku requires or likes to pull from.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Proper XML tags and data for ROKU

"kaseyprichard" wrote:
I cannot find information in the SDK documentation on the type of XML feeds that Roku requires or likes to pull from.

That's because there is no required or recommended schema. Roku can parse any XML you want, you just have to develop the BrightScript to do so. Take a look at the MRSS sample for an example of a Roku channel that works with a completely different XML schema than the video player sample.
0 Kudos
Trevor
Visitor

For ideas on what your schema will require check what content meta data is supported to make it easier http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDKv43/Content+Meta-Data
*** Trevor Anderson - bloggingwordpress.com - moviemavericks.com ***
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I'm sure its obvious by my question that I'm not a very skilled developer.

I have been able to take the videoPlayer example from the SDK and turn it into the beast of an application my boss is asking for, but all the issues came down to the CDN that we were using. They said they already put out XML for us, but that it "wouldn't be what Roku needed". So I sent their developer the XML from our example app. He has been customizing their web service so it will put out XML similar to the example. And all this time, I had no idea that it was "my code" that was being picky about what he returns.

Wow...kinda a newb moment.

I appreciate your help and hope that this wonderful forum will only help to push those who are on the fence about creating their own Roku app!
0 Kudos