Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Problem with function and dot operator

I am attempting to take the GetIndex value and check it's value in order to proceed. I have the following:

Function setch()as object
channelid=contentList[msg.GetIndex()]
If channelid=1
do something here
End If
End Function

I am getting an error in the debug that "Dot" operator attempted with invalid component or reference. I really don't understand exactly what this is telling me. My roListScreen works correctly up to this point where I need to evaluate what choice was made in order to proceed in the code.
Any help appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Problem with function and dot operator

The way to approach this is to first look at the exact error message. It includes a line number that tells you which statement had the problem. Then look at that line (which will, I am sure, be the first line in the function, the assignment to channelid). Now what dot operator could have failed? Luckily there is only one dot operator in this line, msg.GetIndex(). Now look at the list of variables in the debugger and see what the value of msg is. You will find that it is invalid. Now go back to your code and try to discover why it is invalid. In this case, it is because it is undefined -- you have never mentioned the msg variable before your attempt to use the dot operator on it. Probably you meant to pass it as a function parameter.

--Mark
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem with function and dot operator

Thanks Mark it is a function parameter.
0 Kudos